CHAPTER 2

"Taat Manvendra you won again !" Yuyutsu sighed deeply in frustration of defeat while Manvendra just shrugged his shoulders after wining the third round of Chaturang from his younger cousin.

"Seriously Taat, it's impossible to defeat you in Chaturang. I'm sure one day you'll become a clever war strategist." Yuyutsu praised causing a chuckle to escape the lips of Vidurputra.

Suddenly, a Pratihari entered the room, bowing down to the princes.

"The Pandu-putras and their mother have arrived in the palace." She informed.

"Let's pay our respect to them, Yuyutsu." Manvendra said.

"Umm... You go. I'll just stay here." He said unsurely.

"Why ?" Manvendra asked.

"You know why. I have been humiliated enough already." Yuyutsu said gazing down.

"Oh Yuyutsu, they are our cousins. For how long will you avoid them ? Atleast accompany me, I'll do the talking." Manvendra said.

Yuyutsu looked up at this elder cousin, who gave him a assuring smile. A sigh escaped the lips of Vaishya-putra.

"Your smile is too compelling." Yuyutsu said getting up.

"I know." Manvendra chuckled.

Both the princes made their way to the palace gates where they saw five young teenage boys, dressed in deerskins and valkals.

Manvendra and Yuyutsu instantly came to know that they were the sons of Pandu who had just came from forest. But sadly they were already being welcomed by the Kauravas, and not in a good way.

"Petty forest-dwellers, you all should bow down before us princes. Because when I become king, you will eventually. So it's best you practice now only." Duryodhan said.

The three younger Pandavas were frowning, while the tallest one among them was clenching his fists. Only the eldest among them seemed to have retained his composure, and by his calm face it was obvious that he was Yudhishthir, the one who can be steady even in a war.

The atmosphere was tensed because of the misbehaviour of Kauravas, Manvendra could sense the rise of conflict, and hence he decided to intervene.

"For someone who is not the eldest, you speak with a lot of authority." Manvendra said walking towards them.

The Pandavas looked at the newcomer who stood tall with his well built stature, the younger four had suspicion in their eyes, wondering whether he too is two-faced like their Kaurav cousins. Whereas seeing him Duryodhan rolled his eyes.

"Then who is eldest here ? You ?" He mocked.

"To you I am. But Yudhishthir is eldest among us all. So if someone should bow, it's us in front of him." Manvendra said and turned to Yudhisthir, cupping his hands in reverence and bowing his head. The eldest son of Pandu smiled where as the other Pandavas looked rather pleased after this unruly welcome.

"I shall not bow before these forest-dwellers." Duryodhan said folding his hands, keeping his head high.

"They are our cousins. And if you cannot understand this, then just leave. Don't bother them further." Manvendra said firmly.

Duryodhan huffed before stomping out with his brothers. Manvendra then looked at the Pandavas, apologetically. He felt sorry for them, first they lost their father and now this was how they were greeted in their own home.

"Accept my greetings." Manvendra said and touched the feet of Yudhishthir. His contagious smile had its effect on all the Pandavas, who seemed to have been melted, so to speak.