CHAPTER 46

Dhisana was staring out from the window, it had been a year since she last saw her husband, her tears had long dried after falling from eyes for many nights.

The dull grey sky which was announcing the arrival of monsoon was once again ripping her heart, because she now also didn't have Manvendra by her side.

Dhisana was dreading to spend another monsoon separated from her husband. She couldn't survive it. The scent of petrichor, the cool breeze and the cloudy skies was only adding to her agony, reminding her of the distance between them.

She was grieving, she was disappointed, she was upset. Nothing on this earth seemed to soothe her, nothing seemed to make her forget her loneliness.

But what still has kept her alive was a flickering hope, that her husband would return. And just like an Arya woman, although frustrated at him, still waited for his safe return. It would've been easier if she didn't, if she had given up, but does heart ever choose the easy way out ?

"Aryaa ?" The voice of Bela fell on her ears.

Dhisana turned around, her legs disbalanced a little but Bela held her before she'd fall. In the past year, the princess of Mlecchas became so lost in her thoughts, often forgetting to eat properly.

"Look at your condition, princess. Why don't you allow me to call a vaid ?" Bela asked.

"I don't need one." Dhisana said standing properly on her two feet.

"Well, you won't be needing one now." Bela said.

Dhisana looked at her handmaiden with a little confusion, as she had a excited expression on her face.

"Rajkumar Manvendra is coming to Gajasaharya today !" Bela said.

A sigh escaped the lips of Dhisana, a weak smile appeared on her face. At least he came, at least he knows he has a wife, she thought.

"Prepare for his welcome." The princess said.

------

The sky was covered with a thick blanket of fluffy clouds, floating idly and blocking the sun's direct rays. The air was cool and crisp, with a hint of moisture in the atmosphere. Manvendra felt delightful seeing that monsoon had returned and the first rain for this year may happen anytime soon.

He jerked the reins of his horse, to make him run faster, for he couldn't wait to meet his wife who was waiting for him for a year. As he rode through the lanes, his heart was beating with anticipation.

His heart leapt with joy when the Pramankoti became visible to him. As it neared and neared, the happiness and anticipation in him increased more and more.

It didn't take him long, but it sure felt like eternity before he entered the premises of the Pramankoti. But something was off there.

The servants and maids were stood on the either side of the path, with lowered heads, their faces told their grief. Some even raised their heads to look at him, but the way they gazed at him, was as if they were gazing at most cruel person.

Manvendra got confused seeing them, not knowing what was the reason. He got off the horse and walked ahead, there he saw the one he was yearning to see, his wife.

Before a smile could appear on his face, a frown appeared as he saw her figure. She seemed extremely thin, there were dark circles around her eyes showing the lack of sleep, her complexion had become pale and sickly.

'What happened to her ?' Manvendra wondered as he walked towards her.

Now beholding her up close, he saw there was no sense of joy in her face, her eyes were unfocused and seemed extremely devoid of life. It gave him churn in the guts.

Dhisana welcomed Manvendra, but didn't look at him. She did his tilak, revolved the sacramental plate in front of him, and then talking some flower petals and rice, showered a little at him.

Although she had told herself not to, but she really wanted to look at him. She raised her gaze up, her eyes met with his tawny ones. For a moment there was nothing but silence surrounding them both.

And then, Dhisana closed her eyes, taking his image in, before her legs gave up due to weakness. Before she could fall, Manvendra got hold of her waist. The servants and maids gasped, but didn't exactly panic, as seeing the condition of her, it was expected.

"Aryaa !?" Tears trickled down the eyes of Bela, she couldn't control herself.

This confused Manvendra even more, what had happened here while he was gone ? But he didn't have the time for it now. He picked Dhisana up in his arms, as if she was a feather.

He rushed straight to his room, the maids and servants followed him behind.

"Here Rajkumar !" A servant said adjusting the pillow on the bed. Manvendra gently layed down, and sat beside her.

He held her wrist, his fingers checking her pulse rate. His other hand, touching her forehead to see if her unconsciousness was a result of fever, but it wasn't. His hand then moved to her belly, focusing his attention there for a moment, a frown appeared on his face.

"For how long has she not eaten ?" Manvendra asked.

"She hasn't eaten anything since yesterday." One maid said.

"She barely eats anything these days." Another maid said.

"Prepare Rajasik food for her." Manvendra ordered.

The maids and servants nodded and left, but Bela stayed behind.

"Rajkumar, I wish to say something." She said.

Manvendra looked back at her and nodded, both of them went out of the room. Bela looked at the son of Vidur with teared eyes.

"Bela, why is Dhisana in this condition ?" Manvendra asked.

"Because of Rajkumar." Bela said.

"Me ?" Manvendra frowned.

"Forgive me but yes. Since past monsoon, she has been waiting for you, she has been yearning for you. She is not able to sleep at nights, she is not able to eat properly because she misses you so much !" Bela said in sobs.

Manvendra fell silent, did she suffer so much while he was away ? He got more worried.

"Rajkumar, please have mercy on her. If this continues then who knows when she shall lose her will to live !" Bela said.

And that felt like a stab in his heart. At that moment for some reason, Manvendra remembered the conversation he had with Krishna.

"Love can kill one, but also resurrect. It can damn one but also uplift. It can be a doom, it can be a blessing."

".....It's not good to keep the newly wedded wife alone and waiting."

Recalling them, a deep sigh escaped his lips as he brushed his fingers along his hair out of frustration.

"I shouldn't have left her alone." He muttered to himself.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

Kamli ho gayi tere bina
Aaja raanjhan mere
Baarish barkha sab kuch beh gayi
Aaya ni jind mere

This song suits them both so much 🤌