CHAPTER 11

Years went by smoothly in the Gurukul, the valour of Dron's students was being praised in the entire world, now.

Yudhishthir became supreme in fighting with chariots. His knowledge of Dharma was also unparalleled. Duryodhan and Bheem were expert in fighting with Mace. Nakul and Sehdev with swords, Ashwathama was expert in all weapons and so was Arjun.

Arjun, had become the foremost among all warriors. He was special, not just in his knowledge of weapons, but also in his devotion to his preceptor, though the instructions were the same for everyone.

Arjun became an Atirathi, meaning a warrior who can defeat 60,000 rathas alone. He was the first one to obtain this title.

After him, Manvendra gained the title of Atirathi. He was great in the science of archery, fighting with spears and swords but also well-versed in science of Ayurveda. After Arjun, he was the foremost among all the students of Dronacharya.

Together he and Arjun were the only ones, who had earned the title of Atiratha in Gurukul itself.

Meanwhile Karn had long left to gain education from Parshuram and obtain divine weapons from him.

It was very obvious to Dron that the education of princes was soon going to get over. Thus to examine their skills, he got an artisan to construct an artificial bird and placed it on top of a tree, where the princes could hardly see it.

Dronacharya told them all to pick up the bow and that it was the target. He called Yudhishthir first to try and hit it.

"Yuddhisthir, aim with your arrow and shoot once I ask you to." He said.

The eldest Pandav first picked up a bow that made a loud noise. Then, as instructed by his preceptor, he aimed at the bird. He stood there, with his bow stretched.

Dronacharya analysed his posture for a moment before asking him the question.

"O prince ! Can you see that bird on the top of the tree ?" He asked.

"I can see it." Yudhishthir said, able to locate it faintly.

"Can you see the tree ? Can you see me ? Can you see your brothers ?" Dronacharya asked.

"I can see the large tree. I can see you. I can see the bird." Yudhishthir said everything he could see.

"This is not for you. You will not be able to hit the target." Dronacharya said reproachfully.

Thus Yudhishthir moved aside and Dronacharya called upon Duryodhan to take the aim.

He asked him the same set of questions, that Yudhishthir was asked, and he too gave the similar answer. Dronacharya dismissed him and also his brothers who came one after the other and failed to give the right answer.

Bheem and other princes also were asked the same question but they too couldn't please their Gurudev. Everyone got a scolding from him.

He then called upon Manvendra, with high hopes. The Vidurputra held his bow up, putting an arrow over it and streching the string till his ears. His sharp eyes gazed at the wooden bird, with focus.

"Raudra, can you see the bird ? Can you see the tree ? Can you see me ? Can you see your brothers ?" Dronacharya asked.

"I can only see the bird." Manvendra said.

"Then describe it to me. What things do you see in the bird ?" Dronacharya said.

"I can see it's wing, I can see it's tail, I can see it's head, I can see it's feet." Manvendra said.

"Good enough. But this target is not for you either." Dronacharya said somewhat pleased.

Manvendra nodded lowering his bow and then stepped aside. Dronacharya then smilingly called upon Arjun, and gave him the same instructions. He knew that this foremost student of his would definitely hit the target.

Arjun drew his bow into a semicircle, aimed at the target and stood there, as his preceptor had instructed.

"O Arjun ! Do you see the bird seated there ? Do you see the tree ? Do you see me ?" Dronacharya asked.

"I can only see the bird. I cannot see the tree. Nor can I see you." Arjun said.

"If you can see the bird, describe it to me." He asked.

"I can only see the bird’s head. I cannot see its body." Arjun answered.

Dronacharya was so delighted by his answer that every hair of his skin stood up.

"Shoot." He said as Arjun shot the arrow which sliced off the head of the bird on the tree and brought it down on the ground.

Dronacharya embraced Arjun for succeeding in his task.

"Drupad and his relatives have already been vanquished in battle." He proclaimed.

-----

Sulabha was sitting over the steps of the temple, inside which Kunti was offering her prayers. She was wreathing a flower garland with a smile on the face.

"The reason for your smile, Sulabha ?" Kunti asked turning to her.

"Manvendra and the other princes are about to return anyday now." Sulabha said.

"Oh right. Today only the messanger had come and told about the valor of the princes." Kunti said.

"You know jiji ? Everyday, I keep waiting for the moment when a Pratihari shall come to me and inform that my son has arrived. It's been so many years since I last saw him." Sulabha said.

"So do I, dear Sulabha. I wait, not only for my sons, but also for yours. This palace seems lack-lustre without his smile." Kunti said.

A chuckle left the lips of Sulabha as she finished making the flower garland and went inside the garbhagriha. She puts the garland on neck of Narayan, and bows down.

"He'd be grown up so much. All of them would be." Kunti muttered.

"Yes. I wonder, if we'll even recognise our sons. It will be very embarrassing if we fail to." Sulabha said in jest.

"Well, atleast you'd know the one with the most charming smile would be your son." Kunti joked.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

🌝🌝🌝🌝