CHAPTER 67

Moonlight was illuminating the outside, while inside the palace the earthen lamps flickered casting dancing shadows against the ornate walls.

Inside his room, Manvendra was having a discussion with his father. With hushed voices they talked and discussed the extreme political decision that was taken today by Dhritrashtra and others.

"So what was the final decision ?" Manvendra asked.

"Tatshree Bhishm, has proposed the solution that since both Yudhishthir and Duryodhan have the right over the kingdom, Kuru-rashtra would be divided into two. So both get the equal share." Vidur said.

"Oh." Manvendra muttered as the weight of those words and decision sunk in.

"Maharaj Dhritrashtra said that since you have already cleared the Khandavprasth, it shall be given to Pandavas." Vidur told.

"Even when being generous enough to give, what did Maharaj give them ? A barren and uninhabitable land." Manvendra shook his head with a sigh.

"But atleast now I know that the Pandavas will be safe from the conspiracies." Vidur said.

"Perhaps." Manvendra nodded.

"Well, I must get going." Vidur said.

"Right." Manvendra said, he hadn't realised how much time had been spent while discussing this topic. "Mata would be waiting for you." He said.

"It seems like I would be the one waiting for her today." Vidur said with a smile.

"Why ?" Manvendra asked.

"Your mother is with your wife. Sulabha couldn't wait to talk to her daughter-in-law." Vidur said.

Manvendra fell silent, his heart grew heavy with unease as the weight of a profound realization slowly settled upon his shoulders.

"Is everything alright ?" Vidur asked seeing his son's tensed expressions.

Manvendra looked at his father as a gulp formed in his throat, "Nothing for you to worry about, Pitashree." He said after a moment of silence.

"Are you sure ?" Vidur asked raising a brow.

"It's just something between me and Dhisana." Manvendra said.

"Well then, I'd let you both handle it. Take care." Vidur said and he walked away as Manvendra escorted him out.

Shutting the doors behind, Manvendra's hand went up to his face wiping the sweat away from his forehead. He knew that if Sulabha and Dhisana were talking, there was a high chance that she might've revealed the truth.

He went up to his bed and sat down, the weight of the revelation pressed heavily upon him, for it threatened to expose the secret he had so carefully concealed from the woman he cherished above all else.

His hands traveled down his hair, shaky breaths escaped his lips, as his eyes restlessly gazed around the room, which suddenly felt suffocating. It was as if the walls were closing in on him.

His mind raced, desperately seeking a solution, a way to preserve the facade that had been built around his cursed existence. Thoughts collided within him, each one feverishly grasping at threads of denial, hope, and desperation. But deep down, he knew that he could no longer hide the truth from Dhisana.

Suddenly the jingling sound of anklets fell on his ears, he knew they belonged to his wife, her restlessness could be detected in their sound as they got liuder and louder as she neared.

"Hey Narayan..." Manvendra muttered covering his face.

The doors opened, revealing Dhisana. Emotions of anger, disappointment, and betrayal could be seen on her face, as she grappled with the newfound knowledge about her husband's curse.

The man she had pledged her life to, the one she believed she knew completely, had hidden a curse from her. This revelation, not from her husband himself, but instead unintentionally from his mother, filled her with a mix of anger and sadness.

"Raudra, how could you hide this from me ?" She asked, anger evident in his voice.

But he didn't react or respond.

"Look at me when I am talking to you, Raudr !" Dhisana exclaimed.

Manvendra raised his head from the palms of his hand, he looked at her sadly, his eyes were glistening for they were holding back tears.

"Do you not trust me !?" She asked walking towards her.

"I do." He said in a hushed voice, looking up at her.

"Then why did you keep it hidden ?" She asked, her tone shifted from anger to sadness.

"I wasn't sure how you'd take it. I was afraid it would break our fragile relation." Manvendra said as he lowered his gaze. He closed his eyes, not wanting to let any tear escape.

Suddenly he was engulfed in an embrace, which made him open his eyes in shock. He had expected Dhisana to complain and scold him, but here she was hugging him.

"And I had thought that you were spiritless.... Lifeless... Uninterested..." Sobs escaped her lips,"I thought so negative about you while you suffered every moment." She said in a choked.

Surprised from her words, Manvendra did realise that a tear rolled down his cheek.

"You suffered alone even when I was there by your side. O Raudra, you should've told me. I am your wife ! I have vowed to share your sorrows as well !" She said while crying.

In that moment, a torrent of overwhelming emotions washes over Manvendra. Tears streamed down his face, releasing the last of the pent-up emotions in him.

"If you'd have revealed your curse by yourself then it wouldn't have hurt me at all." Dhisana said as she pulled away from him.

"I wanted to but I couldn't gather the courage." Manvendra said looking at her.

"That's not the way Raudra, that is not the way." Dhisana said as she turned back on her feet, and ran out crying.

Manvendra didn't say a thing, nor did he went behind her. He just watched as she left in tears, for he knew he couldn't pacify her right now. But he had faith that in some time her anger shall subside.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

Chalo Kam se Kam sach bahar aa hi gaya..... Rahi baat Dhisana ki.... Woh apne Raudra se adhik time ruthi nahi reh sakti hai ✨