CHAPTER 42

While the entire Hastinapur was asleep, Dhritrashtra and Shakuni were awake, the king of Gandhar once again deluded the mind of the King of Hastinapur.

"Tomorrow I have to declare Manvendra as the crown prince. Tatshree, Kulguru and the ministers are on my throat ! I am left with no choice." Dhritrashtra said.

"There is still significant distance between crown-prince and king." Shakuni said.

"What do you mean ?" Dhritrashtra asked.

"You may declare Manvendra as the crown prince. But then give him a task, which will be equivalent to death." Shakuni said.

"What !? Are you out of your mind !?" The blind king exclaimed.

"Maharaj, do you want your sons to become servants of Manvendra in the future ? There is no way Duryodhan can become king as long as Manvendra is there." Shakuni said.

Dhritrashtra fell silent, not knowing what to say.

"Maharaj, I had warned you a few years back also. I had already told you that Vidur shall make sure that his son becomes the king when the time is right." Shakuni said.

"But.... But Vidur has stayed silent throughout the matter of Manvendra's accession." Dhritrashtra said.

"He has stayed silent. But his ministers haven't. I wonder how much he paid them. But anyway, you must know that for the sake of your sons, Manvendra should go." Shakuni said.

"How can I do that ?" The blind king asked, falling in Shakuni's web again.

"Tomorrow, you may declare him the Yuvraj and then send him to Khandav van. I heard it is occupied by Nagas and Rakshasas. Ask him to clear the land. There is no way he shall return alive, after all the Ashwarohis wouldn't accompany him this time for it is the season of rest." Shakuni said.

The deluded Dhritrashtra gave it a thought and then agreed to it. Shakuni smirked, for his plan was suceeding.

------

While everyone in Gajasaharya had been defeated by sleep, Dhisana was wide awake. It was as if sleep had discarded her. The moon was high in the sky, shrouded by clouds and a cool breeze brushed against her cheeks, but still, she could not drift into slumber.

As she lay there, tossing and turning, Dhisana sighed and closed her eyes, hoping to calm her troubled mind. But the silence of the room felt deafening, and her thoughts raced faster than ever.

When will he return ?

Was he even planning to return ?

Did he even want to return to her ?

Such feelings of doubt and insecurity had started to creep in, now. She was left with a gnawing sense of emptiness, unable to find solace in the little memories she had of Manvendra. Because they didn't even talk properly once, the memories didn't carry the strength to give her assurance.

Dhisana opened her eyes, she became confused for she had always been a romantic girl, dreaming of a life filled with passion and adventure with her beloved. Yet here she was, alone and restless, wondering where the love and affection that had once burned bright in her heart had gone, leaving her devoid of happiness and joy.

Dhisana wondered if this was how it was going to be be for her, given the fact that her husband had the duty of Kingdom security on his shoulders. A worried frown appeared on her face as she pondered more about it.

Does this mean he shall always chose his duty over her ?

Is this her life ?

Is suffering all she was destined for ?

"Raudra... Please come back...." Dhisana muttered as a tear rolled down her cheek.

She desperately wanted her husband to return. She wanted to pour out her heart and express all the fears and doubts that had been gnawing at her.

But for that he needs to come. Because the longer he was making her wait, the more distanced she was becoming.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

For people traumatized by watching Adipurush, I made these art for you -