CHAPTER 28

The darkness of the night had taken over the sky, Dhisana had finished cooking and was waiting for Manvendra and the rest of the Ashwarohis to return.

"Take these and use them to wash his feet when he comes. Rajkumar will be delighted by you." Bela said handing Dhisana a big plate and a jug filled with water.

"The cloth to wipe his feet ?" Dhisana asked.

"Wipe his feet with the end of your own garment. It will make a better impression on him." Bela said.

"Alright !" Dhisana said and kept the plate and jug of water aside.

Suddenly neighs of horses were heard, naturally announcing the arrival of Manvendra and his glorious Ashwarohi troops.

"I'll get going !" Bela said and rushed outside.

A smile appeared on the face of Dhisana as she turned around facing the bed, fiddling with her fingers, a shy smile appeared on her face. It was silly she thought, how she was doing all this to win his heart, but to her it was all worth it, a harmonious household life was all she wanted.

The sounds of heavy footsteps fell on her ears, a red tint appeared on her face knowing her husband had entered the tent.

She turned around to look at him, but her joyous expression turned into a horrified one, seeing Manvendra was covered in blood from head to toe. Yet, it was his eyes that sent shivers down her spine. They seemed so apathetic and lifeless.

"You're covered in blood." She said in a shaky voice.

"It's not mine." Manvendra said as he untied the sword hanging on his hips and kept it on a table.

"What happened ?" Dhisana asked confused.

"Bandits in the southern part of Varanasahrya." He said simply while taking out a fresh pair of garments.

Manvendra walked out of the tent leaving his wife speechless. Here she was planning to welcome him with proper accordance, and here he comes full bloodied.

But what bothered her was that his tone of voice remained monotonous, his face remained expressionless and his eyes seemed to be devoid of all the emotions. She could see nothing in them, neither a happiness of victory nor any kind of remorse for taking human lives. It seemed he was unbothered by it and not in the right way.

'Maybe... Maybe dealing with bandits is his daily business....' Dhisana thought.

A sigh left her lips, but she didn't become upset. He was yet to try her food, she was sure Manvendra would love it. Her guts told her so.

------

After taking a bath and anointing himself, Manvendra walked in the dining area while brushing his fingers down his wet hair.

There he saw Dhisana serving food the Ashwarohis who had already seated. A joyous expression was adorning her face, seeing which Manvendra again felt a churn inside his chest, but he chose to ignore it for he was confused as she was serving his soldiers.

"Rajkumar ?" Dhisana called, "Please have a seat." She said sweetly.

Manvendra went to his place, his seat was a little higher than the rest. Dhisana excitedly went to him and enthusiastically served him. She keenly looked at him, hoping he'd like the food.

"What a taste !" A soldier said.

"It's been long since we ate such a good food !" Another soldier said.

"We are eternally grateful for this princess." Some other soldiers said.

And so more soldiers began to praise the food cooked by her. But Dhisana's ears yearned to hear the praises from her husband's mouth. She gazed at him, while he ate.

Did he like her food ? She wondered. But his face remained unreadable, which added to her nervousness.

"How is it ? I made it myself." Dhisana said.

"It's good." Manvendra said in his usual monotonous voice which made Dhisana frown. If it was really good then his tone should've shown his delight. Even his eyes remained stoic. Not even an inch of his demeanor was telling that he was enjoying the food, or so she thought.

Dhisana became upset, although the rest of the soldiers seemed to be genuinely enjoying the cooked rice with meat and vegetables, her own husband didn't seem to like it. To her, all her efforts since the afternoon to make food for thousands of Ashwarohis seemed like a waste, because she had done it to impress Manvendra, and he looked disinterested.

A sigh left her lips, she had become extremely tired after cooking so much. She had never made food for thousand people. Believing that her husband didn't like the food, nor did he seem to at least appreciate her hardwork, Dhisana grieved at the waste of her efforts.

Bela noticed it and approached Dhisana, taking the princess with her, to talk somewhere in private.

"Aryaa, don't be dejected yet." Bela said.

"How can I not be ? I did so much hardwork so he may be impressed by me. But he doesn't even appreciate my efforts. He is as spiritless as a pillar." Dhisana said folding her hands.

"Rajkumar must be tired, after all he had fought a gruesome battle with the Bandits. My father told me, he didn't let anyone escape." Bela said.

"Maybe he was tired. But doesn't food energize you ? Why did he act so apathetic towards me ?" Dhisana asked.

"Perhaps, the food wasn't to his taste. He's a Kuruvanshi after all. He must've very specific likings." Bela guessed.

Dhisana looked down, a brooding expression on the face showed her disappointment.

"Aryaa, don't lose hopes just yet. There are many ways to win the heart of a man." Bela said.

"What do I do now ?" Dhisana asked.

"You should also talk to him on the subjects he likes best." Bela said.

"I don't know his likes or dislikes." The princess of Mlecchas said.

"Then tonight, while you lay in his arms, in a sweet and gentle tone, talk to him and get to know him." Bela said.

"Alright." Dhisana nodded.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

Awle Dhisana babes, the food was good it just that Manvendra can't show it on his face 🙃