Chapter 4

I was in my room getting ready for my first bodyguard gig. The suit that Ariana made me get actually fit well. And of course she was right about the white shirt looking better with the black suit.

My phone rang, and I saw it was Duke calling. I answered it.

"Hey, Unc." I said.

"How do you feel about fighting Desmond Nicholson?" He asked.

"Like a real fight or sparring?" I asked.

"Real fight. I can set it up right now. It's five grand." Duke said.

"I'll take it." I said.

"Wait, one more thing. It's in a week." He said.

"Even better. I wanna do it." I said.

"Are you sure?" He asked.

"I'm positive." I assured him.

Duke hung up the phone. I dialed my mom's number.

"Hello?" Her sweet voice answered.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Oh I'm just sitting with your dad. Say hi." She said.

"Hi, Dad. I miss you." I said.

"Miss you, honey." I heard him say.

"What do you have planned for today?" Mom asked.

"Well I got a job as a substitute bodyguard for Ariana Grande." I said.

"Ariana Grande? The girl that be with Nicki?" Mom asked.

My mom and sisters were the biggest Nicki Minaj fans.

"I don't know. I haven't seen Nicki yet." I said.

"Girl, you never heard Bang Bang?" Mom asked.

"No, but I'm sure it's good." I said.

"How did you meet Ariana Grande? You aren't fighting are you?" She asked.

"No, I'm not. I ran into her nonna at Ralph's, and she basically adopted me." I said.

"She's Italian?" I heard my Dad ask.

"She is." I said.

"Don't say that. Your father will start planning the marriage." Mom said.

"No, it's not like that at all. She's cool though. She says we're friends, but she's a celebrity, so I feel like she's just being nice." I said.

"No, anyone would want to be friends with you. Celebrity or not." Mom said.

"Yeah, that's why I had so many friends back home." I said sarcastically.

"They didn't understand you. That's all. Maybe Ariana does. Don't sell yourself short." Dad said.

"I just think she's being nice to me because her grandmother likes me. I'm just another bodyguard to her, which is fine with me. I get paid to just stand around and protect her." I said.

"Well I hope you have fun tonight. Text me when you get home. I love you." Mom said.

"Ti amo piccola." My dad said.

"I love you guys too. Bye." I said before hanging up.

I hated lying to my mom about fighting, but I knew she would flip out if she found out. And I knew she was going to find out sooner than later, but I didn't want to be the one to tell her.