Chapter 26

"Are you awake?" Ariana whispered.

"Yes." I whispered back.

I felt her turn to face me in bed.

"Baby, you need to be asleep. Why are you up?" She said.

"I guess I'm nervous." I said.

Today was August fifth. I had to officially fight Carmie Vingo.

"I know, but you need to be well rested. Do you need an ambien?" She said.

"No, I'm fine. I just have to try to calm down a little." I said. "Why are you up?"

"Because I'm very nervous." Ariana said.

She reached over and placed her hand on my stomach.

"Why are you nervous?" I asked.

"My mind is going all over the place. I'm terrified. You have humiliated him twice on video. I just keep thinking 'what if he does the worst he can do in the ring?' It's just so scary. And hearing him say you weren't gonna leave the ring breathing...like it makes me physically ill." Ariana said.

"Yeah, I keep thinking he might wanna do his best to get back at me. I'm not too worried though. I can handle him." I said.

"Can you? Every altercation you've had with him, there have been no rules. This is a controlled environment. It's different than cracking a bottle over his head or fucking tackling him." She said.

"I know, but I got this. I can't let this be the fight I lose my family's streak. That would be so fucking embarrassing. Like I would have to go into hiding." I said.

Ariana reached up and touched my face.

"You know if you lose, you will still be a Marciano." She said.

"No I won't. I'll change my name. I'll be Y/N Smith or something." I said.

"You're so dramatic." She said.

"I'm being serious. I need to win this. It's not even for anyone else. I need to win it for me. I fucking hate that prick, and I wanna be able to say that I whooped his ass." I said.

"Promise me something?" She asked.

"Anything for you." I told her.

"Promise me that if you get hurt, you will call the fight." I said.

"No promises." I said.

Ariana slapped my stomach.

"Promise, Y/N." She said.

"Okay, okay. I promise I won't stay in the ring if I'm hurt." I reluctantly said.

"Awe you're so sweet." Ariana said pinching my cheek.

I slapped her hand away.

"Your bed here is more comfortable than our bed at home." I said.

"Baby, they're both our bed. This is also our penthouse." She said.

"No it's not. You worked your ass off to buy this place. I just happen to be dating you." I said.

"No, we're married. You keep forgetting." Ariana said.

"Yeah, our wedding just slipped my mind." I said.

"Okay, we need to go to sleep. I'll stop distracting you." She said.

"Okay, goodnight." I said.

"Goodnight, baby." Ariana said as she moved closer to me.

I wrapped my arm around her, and she cuddled into my side.