Chapter 16

I woke up and saw a bright light above me.
The harsh light hurt my eyes, so I blinked quickly and turned my head to the left to look away. Duke was sleeping on a couch. I looked down and noticed a bunch of wire. I felt something in my throat, so I felt my face. There was a tube in my nose.

"Unc, what the fuck?" I asked Duke.

He sat up immediately.

"Oh good morning, little asshole." He said as he rubbed his eyes.

"Did I win? Was I in a coma? Did I lose? What happened? Am I dead? Am I transitioning to Heaven?" I asked.

"You won, but remember when I said 'hey, maybe you should end the fight because it looks like you can't walk?' He fucking ruptured your appendix." Duke said.

"You can do that?" I asked.

"Well he did!" Duke told me.

"Wait, so I have the WBA super middleweight title?" I smiled.

"No, you don't get to be happy. I got yelled at for three fucking hours by Marge and Joan, and then your mom called and yelled at me. And then they put your uncles on the phone to yell at me. Did you know that Rocky Sr. had fucking ties to the Mafia? The fucking Gambino family? I know I didn't." Duke said.

"Why would you say that out loud?" I whispered.

"Probably because they put me on a three way call with fucking Domenico Cefalú!" He said loudly.

"He's nice a lot of the time." I said.

"Well he wasn't nice last night. In fact, he had a lot of fucking words for me. I actually am scared to leave this hospital because I'm fearful that fucking mafia members might abduct me." He said.

"The mafia isn't real." I said giving him a look.

"I'm gonna actually beat the shit out of you when you heal." Duke said.

Then I realized Ariana wasn't with me.

"Where's Ariana? Is she okay?" I asked.

"No, your girlfriend is not okay. She watched you get your appendix ruptured. And then you fainted, which was very embarrassing by the way." He said.

"Was it really?" I asked.

"Yes. You fell to your knees and then fell flat on your face. Super embarrassing." He said.

"Where's Ariana?" I asked him.

"She went home to Aunt Marge and Joan's house. They were here earlier, but then Ariana had a meltdown. That was also embarrassing. Especially since you've been together for two minutes. Like why are you crying? It's just an appendectomy." Duke said.

"Are they coming back?" I asked him.

"I don't think so." He said.

"How's my mom doing?" I asked.

"I don't know. I haven't talked to her since she called fucking Al Capone on me." Duke said.

Edgar walked into the room with a handful of vending machine snacks. He smiled when he saw me. He placed the snacks on the counter.

"You fucking prick." He said as he walked over to me.

"You keep your distance. Your fucking biting ass is the reason I'm in this predicament." I said.

"Nah, don't blame me for you being in here. You woulda been fine if you had kept your body safe." Edgar said.

"Yeah, blame the one on the hospital bed all you want. But I have a title." I smiled.