Chapter 21

"Don't forget we have dinner tomorrow night and then we're gonna go out." Ariana said.

"Baby, I'm not gonna forget. It's your birthday." I told her.

"I just wanna make sure." She sang. "What are you doing?"

"I'm just getting something to eat before I stop by your house." I told her.

"Okay, well I'm gonna leave the studio around midnight." Ariana said.

"Text me when you leave so I can head that way. And then text me when you get home. And then text me when you get inside." I told her.

"You're so cute, baby. I'll be sure to text you. Have a good night." She said.

"You have a good night too. Bye, honey." I said.

"Bye, baby." She said.

I hung up the phone and put it in my pocket. I got out of my car and locked the doors behind me. I walked towards the restaurant. I nodded at the bouncers standing outside before walking in.

"Rocky!" Dom sang as I walked in.

I gave him a small smile.

"Domenico, how are you?" I asked.

He stood up from his table and walked over to me. I hugged him.

"I'm so happy you called. I haven't heard from you since before you went to college." He said.

"Yeah, I bet you were happy to hear from me. You sit around with all those old geezers all day. I knew you needed to talk to somebody with the slightest bit of youth." I said.

"Oh yeah, whatever." He said. "I ordered your favorite. Fettuccine Alfredo."

"You're the best." I said.

The two of us walked back over to the dinner table. I sat down in front of his seat.

"So what's so important that I needed to come to Los Angeles?" He asked.

"I wanted to meet you while I was in New York after my...arrest, but my girlfriend isn't very fond of all of this." I said.

"I know that feeling." He said.

"I just had a few questions to ask you. That's all." I said.

"Ask away." He said.

"Well I don't know if you know this or not, but I'm fighting Carmie Vingo August fifth." I said.

"Of course I know that." Dom said.

"So did you see our little scuffle at Rao's?" I asked.

"Yeah, I did. I think the whole world saw. And it wasn't a scuffle. You almost killed him." He said.

"Yeah, I was going to." I said.

"Understandable." Dom said.

"But the thing is Carmie was there with Albie Vena and Nick Ferriola. Did you know that Carmie knew them?" I said.

"No, I didn't know that. But I do now." He said. "Why are you asking me all this?"

"It's just that...you know I'd never question you. We haven't even spoken since I was a teenager, but I guess I'm just a little curious after this past weekend. Do you get anything out of my fights?" I said.

Dom ate a bite of his stuffed artichoke. He swallowed it before looking at me.

"We make a small profit off of them. No big deal." He said.