Vol 1. Chapter 2 - The Beginning

When we finally made it to the classroom, Kushida told me that she wanted to introduce herself to some of our classmates, leaving me alone to slowly trudge towards the desk with my nameplate on it. I regretted not making any advancements on Kushida during our walk here. I should have at least asked her if we could be friends. Stupid Kiyotaka, you missed your chance!

As I sat down, I looked towards my seatmate.On my right sat a beautiful girl, she had waist-length black hair and red eyes. It was the person from the bus! She was reading a book, exuding an aura that screamed "do not approach me".

I'm sorry, Kuro-chan, but I am never going to pass on a chance to make some friends. I will ignore your admittedly intimidating aura and approach you anyway. Now, let's start with strategy one.

"'Crime and punishment'... That's a good book you have there," I said, trying to start an exchange between us.

"Oh? You know of this book?" She slowly turned her head toward me, interested that I had read the book she was currently holding.

"Yeah, I've read it once or twice," I answered, "I personally related with Raskolnikov's philosophy, as that was how I used to think."

[A/N: I have no idea if this is true or not but apparently Raskolnikov's personal philosophy is that he sees people as tools. I just did some researching because I haven't read the book.]

Was it a bad idea to admit that I used to think of people as tools? Yes, definitely. However, I needed to keep the conversation going if I wanted to claim her as my friend.

"Used to relate to... You're saying you thought of people as tools, but changed your philosophy at some point?" She asked while glaring at my face, gauging my expressions for the truth.

"Although I am ashamed to admit, I did indeed grow up as someone who believed people were nothing more than tools. However, only a year ago, I was able to change my way of thinking thanks to a few friends of mine." Seeing that there was no sign of a lie, she decided to believe my explanation.

"I see..."

"My name is Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, by the way."

"Why the sudden introduction?"

"Well, I just thought that, since we will be sitting next to each other, it would be beneficial to know each other's names. For group assignments, and such."

"Do you mind if I refuse?" she shot this question at me, words lacing with venom.

"Wouldn't it be weird sitting next to a person you don't know the name of?"

"No." She declared, returning to her book. It seemed as if she wanted to end the conversation.

It seems Kuro-chan doesn't really want to make friends... No matter. If she doesn't, I'll just make her want to be friends with me!

"I guess I'll have to continue calling you 'Kuro-chan' then..."

"Excuse me, what?"

"I don't know your name, so I've been calling you 'Kuro-chan' in my head for a while now," I replied in a dejected tone, laying my chin on my hand as I stared out the window.

Kuro-chan seemed to be displeased with her nickname. Alas, Kuro-chan, I simply can not call you anything else If I don't know your name.

"Stop that, now. Do not give me any nicknames." Kuro-chan's venom from earlier had returned, however, it had increased by at least tenfold after realising that I had been calling her 'Kuro-chan' in my head for the past five minutes while we were having our conversation.