Vol 1. Chapter 7 - The Wonders of Youth

It was just as I thought, all the classes so far were just time used to go over the course objectives in each subject.

Tomorrow, things will change. Homeroom would be cut down to five minutes and the real lessons would start. From now on, there wouldn't be as much time to speak with my classmates like I had been doing so far.

I had not yet established myself as the leader of the class as I believed that I needed to make more connections with my classmates. For the next month or so, our class would have no recognised leader, but I had no doubts that I would be a dominant figure within the class.

As I pondered on these small details, lunch had started.

This was the perfect opportunity to get closer to Matsushita. She intrigued me, more than anyone else in this class, and I don't think anyone else would be more suited to being my first friend here.

From what I had observed before homeroom this morning, it looked like Matsushita had fit herself within Karuizawa's group of friends, which included Satou Maya, Mori Nene, Wang Mei-yu and Shinohara Satsuki. It seemed like they had gotten pretty close with Hirata, who seemed to be unbothered by the harem he had.

Maybe I should ask if I could join them? But isn't it usually the other way around? I've read that it's usually someone inviting someone else to have lunch with them, not someone barging into another group's gathering.

As I contemplated my possible options, Hirata had called something out in front of the class.

"Hey, I'm thinking of going to the cafeteria. Does anyone want to come with me?" Oh Hirata, you really are a prince, aren't you? If I was a girl (or gay, I have nothing against gay people), my heart would totally be going kyuun~ kyuun~ right now.

Wait, why is my heart going kyuun~ kyuun~? Am I gay? Just kidding! I got you, right, reader? I did, didn't I! No, I swear, I'm not actually gay. No, seriously...

Anyways, I was thankful for Hirata's inclusivity because the group of friends that Matsushita had mingled with would definitely be going with him.

"I'm coming too!"

"Oh, oh, count me in!"

As expected, the harem will always follow their prince. Unfortunately for you, harem, your prince is going to have to bring his knight with him.

"I'll come too, Hirata," I said, holding up my hand to make sure he noticed me.

"Alright, Ayanokouji-kun. Let's go, everyone."

Walking over to the cafeteria, I made sure to stay at the back to observe the rest of the group.

Karuizawa was subtly yet blatantly flirting with Hirata, clutching onto his arm and always making sure that he talked to her. Is this not a case of PDA? Did they know each other from middle school? No, I'm sure that Hirata or Karuizawa would have mentioned that if they were dating prior to coming to high school as a way to drive other boys or girls away from their partner. Maybe they just hit it off on the first day? Hoh, hoh. Hirata, you princely playboy. Maybe I could tease him about that.

The other girls in the group weren't doing anything as crazy as Karuizawa, but they still looked enviously at the blonde as she continued to latch herself onto the prince.

Speaking of other girls, Matsushita didn't look all too interested in Hirata. In fact, she had glanced over her shoulder at me a few times now. It probably wouldn't be long until Matsushita would leave the group and come to speak with me as a way of probing for answers to her probably countless questions.