Vol 1. Chapter 17 - No Room For The Complacent

After lunch had ended, it was finally time for our swimming lessons. Needless to say, all of us were excited, including me.

The boys changed incredibly fast, while I opted to wait for them to finish so as to not garner too much attention so early on in the lesson. Having nineteen boys in one room fawning over my body wasn't a dream that I particularly wanted to come true.

"Alright! The pool!" I excused Ike's screams for this one time, as I too, was enamoured by the size and condition of the olympic level pool that was right in front of us. I guess being a government backed school really has its perks, huh?

"Why are the girls taking so long? I want to see the tits- I mean, class is about to start." Yamauchi, being the pervert he was, could only focus on women, even in a situation where he was put in front of what was most likely one of the highest quality pools that existed within Japan. Strangely enough, though, he immediately stopped talking about breasts after he noticed that I was glaring at him. I wonder why?

After about another minute of waiting, the girls arrived, and to my surprise, both Sakura Airi and Hasebe Haruka were present, and in their swimsuits. It appeared that my speech hadn't fallen upon deaf ears.

"Ayanokouji-kun! We haven't spoken in a while, have we?" The angelic voice rang through my ears as I swiftly turned my head to face Kushida, who was hurriedly approached me.

Along with Kushida, another girl who, if I remember correctly (I definitely did, I am the masterpiece, after all), was named Inogashira Kokoro.

I guess that explains why I haven't been talking to Kushida much since we first met, seeing that Inogashira was among her already large friend group. If she was uncomfortable with me, then Kushida, being the kind girl that she is, would make sure to stay clear of me whenever Inogashira would be around.

"Oh, hey Kushida. It really has been a while." I gave a simple reply, nothing too daring or outgoing, since Inogashira was still one of the shy girls in our class. Of course, she was still more extroverted than Sakura, who hadn't voluntarily interacted with anyone so far, and Hasebe, who had only ever spoken with Miyake Akito.

For a while longer, Kushida and I exchanged pleasantries, catching up with each other as if we were old friends.

"Oh, I almost forgot!" Kushida exclaimed while turning back to Inogashira, "Gomenne, Inogashira-san. You wanted to talk to Ayanokouji-kun, didn't you?"

"I-it's okay, Kushida-san, you don't have to apologise. But, yes, I did want to talk to A-Ayanokouji-kun," Inogashira timidly replied.

"You wanted to talk to me?" I asked.

"Um, Ayanokouji-kun, can I - can I get your p-phone number!" spluttered the timid girl. Inogashira appeared incredibly eager to get my number, something that I did not completely understand. Yes, I helped her out during introductions, but apart from that, we haven't interacted at all. But I guess that does explain the looks that Inogashira was giving me throughout the past week.

"That's it? Well, we can exchange numbers after class, if you'd like to."

"R-really? That'd be great, Ayanokouji-kun." Suddenly, Inogashira took off and left, leaving me and Kushida alone to watch her as she ran away from us.

"What was that about? Why'd she leave like that?" I muttered, just loud enough for Kushida to hear.

"I think she's embarrassed, Ayanokouji-kun," Kushida replied matter of factly.

"Embarrassed? Why would she be embarrassed?"

"Hehe, not telling!" Kushida said, playfully sticking her tongue out. "You'll have to figure that out yourself. I have to get going, Ayanokouji-kun, class is about to start. See you later!"