Vol 1. Chapter 10 - Desperation

The room was filled with silence. Tachibana's expression resembled that of a goldfish. To her, Manabu's offer was insane, and the president himself knew that too. But this was his last hope.

Meanwhile, Kiyotaka was sitting in his chair with his usual stoic expression, taking the time to piece everything together with all the information he had been given.

It was obvious to him now; the fact that Manabu wanted him to become the second vice president meant that he was meant to beat Nagumo to the student council president position, or at least keep him in check.

"Second vice-president? You're having trouble with Nagumo, so you want me to become the president instead of him, while also keeping him at arm's length as the first vice-president. You're in some trouble, aren't you, president Horikita?"

Manabu sighed, something he had been doing frequently during this meeting. "Yes, I am in some trouble, and I need your help, Ayanokouji."

"Haah, the student council president struggling with one of his kouhais, and asking for help from a first year student, how comical," Kiyotaka mused.

"I understand that this situation that I'm in is unfavourable, but I really do need your help. Please consider the deal."

"Before that, I would like the details of your situation with Nagumo. Why do you need me to become the president instead of him?"

"Nagumo will create a meritocracy, a system which focuses on individuality rather than solidarity. This change goes against the traditions of this institution, and will result in many expulsions. He is already designing an app to evaluate and rank students. This is against the traditions of this institution, and the ideals that I have been trying to build over the last two years," explained Manabu.

"So he's that kind of guy... Alright, I'll be your guardian angel to fix up this mess you created. But I do have some conditions if I am to go through with this. One, I am going to be given an information network of sorts that will allow me to keep tabs on Nagumo. Two, at the end of each month, including this month, I am to be paid 150,000 private points for my work as the second vice president. And lastly, if possible, I would like to be able to find my own secretary."

"That's fine. We can sign a contract if you'd like." Without thinking, Manabu instantly accepted Kiyotaka's demands.

"Yes, let's do that."

After he finished writing the contract, Manabu slid it in front of Kiyotaka, showing him the conditions and what was written.

The contract was as follows:

If Horikita Manabu meets the following conditions, the student named Ayanokouji Kiyotaka is to join the student council as the second vice-president:

150,000 private points will be transferred to Ayanokouji Kiyotaka's account at the end of each month

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka will be permitted access to the student council's information network

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka will be permitted to hire a secretary of his choosing

After signing the contract, Kiyotaka stood up out of his chair and headed for the door, preparing to leave. But, he remembered one more thing he intended to ask the elder Horikita about.

"Horikita Suzune, is she your little sister, president?" asked Kiyotaka, turning his head back to look at Manabu.

"She is, why do you ask?"

"While I've only interacted with her a few times, her attitude is quite... unfriendly. Do you have any part in that?"

"Ayanokouji, these are family matters, and I would prefer to keep them private," said Manabu, a slightly grim and pained expression visible on his face.