Vol 1. Chapter 5 - Excitement

Amidst the commotion of my classmates, I walked back up to the teacher's podium. There was about 5 more minutes until the entrance ceremony, meaning there was enough time to answer the questions that my classmates had. But, just as I opened my mouth, Hirata spoke.

"Everyone, may I please have your attention?" Hirata stood up out of his chair and walked over to the front of the classroom. He then clapped his hands, garnering the attention of everyone but Kouenji.

"While we could take this time to introduce ourselves, I think that there is something more important to talk about," Hirata said, while glancing over his shoulder to look at me, as if saying 'it's your turn'.

"I know it's been a long day so far. There is also the entrance ceremony in a few minutes. However, this does not excuse us from acting like high school students." Now that the baton had been passed to me by Hirata, I started to address the class, "during this ceremony, I want you all to be on your best behaviour. At least try to pay attention."

The class seemed to understand, and were not attempting to go against my request.

"In addition, there is also the school system that we need to talk about. While you may be demoralised after Sae's unnecessary comments, please remember this: this school is a school made to nurture the youth into elites. Yes, we may be defective, but we were accepted here nonetheless. We were accepted, not to be laughed at, but because we have the potential to be elite. What's stopping us from polishing our defects and becoming complete products? What's stopping us from becoming the elites of this school?" My classmates started to look at me, intrigued. They were, no doubt, interested in what I would have to say next.

"Think about it: we, the defectives of our year, become the elites the school has wanted so badly to create. It may seem like some sort of fairytale or dream to you. But with me to lead you all, this isn't just a dream. It's a reality - no, an inevitability."

Now, their eyes were wide, surprised by my display of utmost confidence. It may seem like arrogance to them, but in actuality, it was justified self-confidence.

I then paused for a second, waiting for my classmates to regain their composure, and for Ike or Yamauchi to start screaming and shouting like they had done previously. To my surprise though, it was neither Ike nor Yamauchi, it was someone entirely different.

"HAHAHA! Well, demon-boy has shown me something interesting, so I will now be leaving this room full of imperfect existences." Kouenji stopped brushing his hair and pocketed his mirror, grabbed his bag, then walked out of the classroom.

This behaviour was what I expected from someone with his demeanour. However, there was something that felt strange about what he said. He had referred to me as 'demon-boy'. What did he mean by that? Did he know me? And Kouenji... why does his name ring a bell? His full name is Kouenji Rokusuke... ah, I see. It's that Kouenji Rokusuke, the heir of the Kouenji Conglomerate, a multinational company worth trillions of yen. They were also a large contribution of the investments for the White Room. So that explains it.

At least he had told me about it, well, in his own way. It made things much easier. I would have eventually made the connection between Kouenji and the Kouenji Conglomerate. When I made this connection I would, of course, become suspicious of him. Well, that part wouldn't change, as I still was suspicious of him, but at least no to the extent I could have been.

"Um, Ayanokouji-kun, I have a question of my own," asked Hirata, putting his hand up to catch my attention.

"Yes, Hirata?"

"How did you know my name?" A valid question. I had indeed called Hirata's name without being properly introduced to him, so he would naturally be perplexed as to how I knew it.