Vol 1. Chapter 4 - All Truths Revealed

I let go of Chabashira-sensei's wrist and distanced myself from her. The entire class settled down and directed their attention towards our teacher, who had walked back over to the podium. Their faces looked serious, a contrast to how they appeared only a while ago.

"This explanation is incredibly important. I would advise you to keep your ears open, Class D." Chabashira then slammed her hand on the podium, startling most of my classmates. Her poker face had now disappeared, making way for a stern yet playful expression.

Was she a sadist?

"First of all, points are split into two categories. The 100,000 in your accounts right now are what we call 'private points'. The other type of points are 'class points'."

"Every single freshman class, from A to D, is given 1000 class points at the start of the year because they passed the entrance exam. These class points are then converted into private points and are deposited into your accounts at the start of each month. With this in mind, you could conclude that class points are updated each month," she continued to explain.

If a connection between class points and private points does indeed exist like I believe it does, it would mean that one class point is 100 private points. And, if our allowance for next month were to be lowered, but our private points for this month would remain untouched, it would mean that we had spent a certain number of class points on this information. Quite an interesting system.

"Class points can be decreased through class absences, tardiness, sleeping in class, not paying attention during lessons, and the use of phones during classes."

The class started to murmur, realising that what they had been planning to do was something that could have cost them class points. They immediately shut their mouths though, after seeing Chabashira's gaze.

"There is no need to fret, as there is a way to gain class points. During events we call 'special exams', classes are made to compete with each other. A victory or a good performance will grant you with class points, while bad performances can lead to the loss of class points. However, it is possible for class points to neither increase nor decrease after special exams." Chabashira stopped and looked at the class, before finally stopping at me. Was this really her way of asking whether we had questions?

I took this brief pause to look at Horikita, who I had seen with her jaw dropped when I was taming Chabashira. This time, though, she had her notebook out and a pencil in hand, writing down notes of Chabashira sensei's summary of the school system.

Horikita then put her hand up, it seemed that she needed something to be clarified.

"Yes, Horikita?" Chabashira had finally noticed Horikita's hand after about thirty seconds of staring at me.

"Are there any other situations outside of special exams in which we could earn class points?" That was a better question than I was expecting. Horikita was clearly an intelligent girl; she possessed a lot of potential. 

"Another way to earn class points is through midterm and final exams. A maximum amount of 100 class points can be rewarded to a class depending on their overall performance on these tests."

So this is how they determine our worth; midterm and final exams which will measure our academic ability and special exams which will presumably cover our physical and the rest of our capabilities. Our results on these various tests will change our worth in the school's eyes, which, in turn, changes our class points. With all this information in mind, there was still one more question that remained unanswered.

"Sensei," I said, putting my hand up, "this whole system is exciting and entertaining and all, but there is still one thing you haven't clarified: what is the point of all this?"