Ch. 1: The Affair

Her mate died that morning, a cold snowy morning. Stardust howled upset. Artemis her daughter howled, then Thor, then Sylvie. Stardust thought the world would end after her mate died and sulky patrolled the territory. A male wolf pounced on her growling. "Get of you lug!" Stardust exclaimed surprised. The wolf obeyed he realized he wasn't even in his territory. He sat down and groomed his fur. "Who are you, and what pack do you come from?" Stardust ordered. He shrugged and answered, "I am Bevus of the Beaver pack." He plainly answered. "Who are you?" He asked Stardust. "I am Stardust of the Sky pack." Stardust said with authority. "Well nice to meet you, Stardust." He said charmingly. "Why are you in my territory." Stardust ordered. "I've often seen you patrolling this spot of your territory, usually with a male." He said, he didn't mean to cause harm to Stardust. Stardust was softly crying. "Why what's wrong?" He asked, "I didn't mean to offended, or hurt you!" "I know, It-its just that......." She said but turning her head away, it was too painful. "If it hurts to talk about it, you don't have to." Bevus said sympathetically. "Look, I know I have to talk about it sometime." Stardust said adverting her eyes to the floor. "Look, maybe if I come tomorrow you can tell me?" Bevus suggested. He flinched thinking she was going to turn him out of the territory. "I would like that, very much." Stardust said calmy. Bevus was surprised on what she said, usually the other packs would swarm him and try to kill him, especially the Junction butte pack. Bevus nodded and headed into his territory. Stardust went sulky to her den. Sylvie greeted Stardust at the den. Stardust tiredly laid down. Artemis snuggled with Stardust.

Stardust climbed out of the den. "Uh, mom where are you going?" Sylvie asked making Stardust jump. "Uh, I'm just going on an early patrol." Stardust answered. "Ok, be careful, we smelled stranger wolves out there." Sylvie said crawling into the den. Stardust arrived at the location she met Bevus the day before. Bevus dropped down from a tree, making Stardust jump. "Ha, you should of seen the look on your face!" Bevus laughed with tears. "Dude, you scared the fur off my back!" Stardust exclaimed her heart still racing. "Sorry, but it was hilarious!" Bevus exclaimed laughing, "Now are you going to tell me what was troubling you yesterday?" He asked his voice turning serious. "oh, you see....my.....mate...died..... of...an illness, Sylvia, my daughter, hasn't told me what the illness was yet." She said a little reluctantly, but glad she said it. "Thank you for telling me this." Bevus said nodding.

After this Stardust met Bevus every day, one night when the moon was full and high, Bevus and Stardust mated. When Stardust got home that night, she looked happy. "Have you realized how happy she's been lately?" Sylvie whispered to Artemis. "Yes, but I'm not complaining." Artemis whispered back. Thor became suspicious of some secrecy in the air of Stardust. "Mom, what's up?" He asked one night when Stardust let her guard down and sighed dreamily. "Oh, nothing." Stardust said quickly sitting up. Thor got even more suspicious, but he never decided to follow Stardust.

One night Stardust went into the area she always met Bevus, but he wasn't there. 'Maybe he's sick, or late, or around somewhere....' Stardust thought looking around, but she saw no evidence of Bevus being around recently. She gave up ears skewing to the side. She sulked to the den and didn't get up until late in the afternoon. That night he wasn't there either, or the next day, or the next day, until it's been around a week.

One day Sylvie was checking Stardust over. "Why Mom! Your pregnant!" Sylvie exclaimed, "To think dad will actually have a 4th litter!" Stardust's ears skewed to the side, she was happy she was pregnant, but she felt as if she betrayed her dead mate. She couldn't wait to tell Bevus that she was pregnant! Will he come live with her? Will he be her mate? Many questions, and no answers, she just had to hope he would come tomorrow.

The 8th day after the day he stopped coming, Stardust was moping around the den. 'He better be there tonight.' Stardust thought bitterly. Stardust walked over to the spot where she usually meets Bevus. She actually caught Bevus's scent this time! Bevus emerged from bushes, he looked plainly tired and sulky. "Bevus!" Stardust exclaimed and ran over to him. "Stardust....I-I'm sorry...." Bevus said pain in his voice. "Why, what's the matter?" Stardust asked skewing her ears down. "I'm sorry, this never should of happened." He growled. "Why what do you mean?" Stardust asked getting nervous. "look, I'm already mated.....by a she-wolf, not you...." He said lowly. "but..." Stardust tried to say. "Look, I know, I love you, and you love me, but, I have a mate, and I love her too." Bevus said awkwardly. "But..." Stardust tried to say again. "I KNOW YOU LOVE ME, It's just I can love you.." Bevus said his voice wavering. "I KNOW, BUT WILL YOU JUST LISTEN TO ME!!" Stardust yelled making birds scatter from the trees. Bevus shut up. "I'm pregnant Bevus, PREGNANT! And You're the father!" Stardust growled. "Try your best to raise them alone..." Bevus said. "This will be my first year without a mate, they'll not even know you! Is that what you want?" Stardust asked. "My mate is pregnant I have to take care of her, and the pups, you on the other hand may have some help from your older pups, I have none!" Bevus barked. "Well, then I guess this is goodbye, and good luck." Stardust said her ears skewing to the side. "We'll not attack you, mostly because you are carrying my pups, but I can't speak the same of the other packs, of course I'll tell my mate of, you and how your pregnant, she has the right to know." Bevus said skewing his ears. "Ok, go on, I'll tell my grown pups, but not the pups for this litter, maybe they'll find out on their own." Stardust mumbled. Bevus was always surprised about Stardust. He heard a howl in the distance. "I got to go, goodbye forever." Bevus said slipping away. "Goodbye, forever, my dear Bevus." Stardust whispered with tears in eyes. Stardust looked up and raised her ears, it was time to get back to the den! She took her time to the den and pushed back her tears. By the time she got back it started to snow again.