Ch. 5: More than 1 Disaster

Sylvie was hunting for medicine things with Nyome, Thor was off Scouting with Stardust, and Artemis was stuck inside the den a little ill. Bear was playing with his remaining brothers, like he never heard or seen Birch. Opal was sitting beside Butterfly. "It's like they don't even care that Birch died." Opal growled low. "They may be trying to hide the pain?" Butterfly suggested. "You don't hide pain!" Opal growled. "Opal, some wolves take grief a different way, us to show the pain, our brothers hide it, Sylvie and Nyome go out to get Herbs, Thor goes to scout more, Mom goes hunting, and Artemis gets overprotective over her surviving little siblings." Butterfly pointed out. Opal rolled her eyes. Suddenly all was quiet, Opal had a uneasy feeling. "Butterfly, let's get in the den..." Opal said Uneasily. "I-I agree." Butterfly said having the same feeling. They ran to the den, but a bear emerged jumping from the bushes in their way. Bear, Daniel, and Beach ran towards their siblings. The bear lunged at Opal, but Daniel pushed her out of the way and the bear got him instead, biting the tiny pup and breaking him like a small stick. As Daniel went limp Bear pushed them into the den, they all had pain in their eyes. Opal's pain was worse. Artemis smelling fresh blood, death, and fear awoke from her slumber. "What happened here is Daniel?" Artemis asked. "A bear attacked......Oh it should have been me! He pushed ME out of the way after all!" Opal howled. Artemis slipped out of the den and fought of the bear. The 4 pups huddled each other. "I don't ever want to leave." Beach said shivering with fear. Nyome slipped into the den and fell on top of Bear. "I heard what happened," Nyome whimpered getting off of Bear, "And I saw Daniel's dead pelt, filled with blood, not a inch of live in him." Nyome shivered at the thought and joined the scared, mourning pup huddle. Sylvie slipped in to cuddle them, and comfort the pups. Opal still blamed his death on herself. Thor and Stardust soon arrived, and Artemis explained what happened. Stardust howled with pain in her voice.

Opalslugleshly went out of the den with her sisters and remanding brothers. Bearand Beach again played like they never heard of Birch OR Daniel. Opal had morepain than she ever did. With Birch, she blamed herself for teasing him toomuch, and for Daniel, she blamed herself for him saving her. Opal sluggleshlyflopped down in the dust. The sun was out again, thankfully it wasn't too hot.The pups only had Sylvie and Artemis at the den to watch them for, Thor was outscouting, and Stardust is hunting. "Nyome, would you care to get moremedicine herbs?" Sylvie asked, the stockpile wasn't overflowing yet therewasn't too little left. "Uh, sure." Nyome said getting up from lyingnext to Butterfly. Nyome and Sylvie left to get herbs, leaving the grief-strickenpups with Artemis. "Opal, why don't you go play with Butterfly?"Artemis suggested. "Ok..." Opal said. It was quiet.....to quiet.Artemis picked Opal up quickly. A stranger wolf flung himself onto Artemis,making Opal fling into a tree, thankfully she didn't get too hurt, just asplinter, and a bruise. Butterfly ran to Opal. Opal was to shaken up from shockto move. Butterfly dragged Opal to the den's mouth. A stranger wolf scooped upButterfly and was about to smush her, but Opal scratched him with all her mightnocking Butterfly out of his bloody jaws. He gave Butterfly a few teeth holes,but other than that she was ok. Beach ran over to them followed by Bear. Astranger wolf was about to scoop Opal up, but Bear moved her, pushing her intothe dust. The stranger wolf scooped up Bear instead and with a chomp Bear wentlimp. The stranger wolf dropped Bear's lifeless body, and was about to lunge atBeach, but Opal speared him into the side with a very sharp stick, how thistiny pup came to this stick, or held it, none of them knew. The stranger wolfwent limp, he was dead. All was quite the stranger wolves were Crevice Lake.They stood in silence seeing a stick bulge out of the wolf's ribs. They staredat Opal who dug it into his body. Opal pulled out the stick. "Who'snext?" Opal mumbled. The tip of the stick was drenched in blood. The wolfthat was holding onto Artemis's neck let go and skedaddled. The other wolves scatteredleaving the densite. Opal spat the stick out of her mouth and tearily looked atBear's lifeless body one more time before following her remanding siblings intothe den. "It happened AGAIN?" They heard Sylvie's voice say droppingherbs on the ground. "It was a surprise attack, they lept on me, andkilled bear." Artemis said her voice trembling. "Did you kill thatwolf?" Sylvie asked looking at the stranger wolf who's last expression wasshock, that still showed on his lifeless face. "No....It was....Itwas....Opal." Artemis said voice trembling. Nyome gasped and dropped herload of herbs that were in her mouth. "That, small pup? Did THIS?HOW!?" Sylvie exclaimed shocked. "She dug a sharp long branch intohis ribcage which ruptured his lung and killed him almost instantly. THAT smallpup is the reason I am still alive THAT small pup saved Beach and Butterfly,But I'm pretty sure she did it for revenge after he killed Bear." Artemissaid sticking up for Opal. Nyome ran into the den. "I'm a little shocked,but Opal, what in the world made you dig a stick into the wolf's lung?"Nyome asked. "I don't know I was drived with grief, and saw a sharpbranch, and I knew what to do, I thought I wouldn't be able to pick it up, butI SWERE I saw the spirits' of Birch, Daniel, and Bear, HELP me pick it up! Thespirits helped me drive it into the wolf's side to kill it. I guess me being grief-stricken,made me see things." Opal said shrugging at the end. "You were notseeing things." Sylvie gasped. "What do you mean?" Opal askedshocked. "Let me tell you of a legend." Sylvie said darkly.