Ch. 9: The New Den

Opal looked back at the river trying to spot Nyome in the rugged water. They were close to the high grounds. Just a bit farther and they'll find a new den. Sylvie picked up Butterfly and ran after Stardust up the hill. Thor picked Beach up, then Artemis picked Opal up, then they ran up following their mom and sister. Stardust signaled them to come closer. They were getting hungry again. The 3 remaining pups looked at each other with sadness as they were being placed down. They flopped down into some underbrush and started missing Nyome. "Any death message yet Opal?" Butterfly asked sitting by her. "The dead only help me by warning me or protecting me and my family." Opal answered sighing sadly. "Is there a chance she survived?" Butterfly asked. "Yes, but it's a slim chance, she was swept to the Junction pack Territory, she may not live long." Opal answered sighing heavily, "I know you miss her, I miss her too." Butterfly said sympathetically. "Let me know when you hear from her from your 'precious gift'" Beach said bitterly. This time Artemis fed them, since Stardust was out finding a den. The rain was now softly pattering. But the river was still swollen with anger, it was already a little rough, the storm made it rougher, and more dangerous, they were lucky they only lost 1 pup. Artemis picked up Opal and began walking to where Stardust howled. Sylvie scooped up Butterfly and followed, Thor picked up Beach and stalked after them. Stardust was sitting by an abandon coyote den. "We are going to pick this one, I know it's not as at home as our old one, and it's easier for eagle attacks, but I promise y'all we'll be ok. Maybe we'll check our old den every day to see if the den isn't flooded anymore." Stardust said remembering her pain when she moved. 'This is different, I didn't want to move that time because of Samuel, this is they loved that den.' Stardust reminded herself bitterly. Samuel her puphood friend KILLED one of her beloved pups, then she killed him.