Chapter Four: Down The Warp Pipe

(Some chapters may be a bit short but the movie didn't really have any good stopping points anyway. So apologies if they feel rushed lmao)

(And I also noticed some of y'all actually like the new lore I'm putting into this and it surprises me so thank you all for the support!!)

(Proof reading? Never heard of it🤡)

It didn't take the Mario Brothers long before they arrived at the disastrous scene. It was bad to the point where there were police officers and ambulances on the scene. The water was up to everybody's knees was how bad it was.
Even worse, it was now dark so it became even harder to work.

Mario and Luigi managed to show up anyway, the water up to their knees at this point. Mario was determined and felt heroic about wanting to save the town, while Luigi was a bit frightened, clutching his tookbag and monkey wrench worriedly. This seemed like a pretty big problem. Was it too late to turn back now?

One of the construction workers managed to close the lid on the area where water spurted out the most and smiled, wiping his head in relief.
"I got this!" It only took a second for it to burst again however, causing the force to send one worker flying and the other into the water.
Mario smirked. So much for 'under control'.
"Hehe, they're not even looking in the right place! Come on, Lu!" Mario looked at his brother and then turned around, finding a manhole that was still closed luckily. If they were gonna stop this flood, they were gonna have to get to the source of where it was coming from.

Which was in the sewers.

Mario grabbed the tool Luigi was holding and used it to pull the heavy lid open. This caused the water to start draining inside. It wasn't enough to stop it though so they were going to have to go inside. Seemed easy enough...

To Mario anyway...

Luigi suddenly realized what his red-capped brother was fixing to do and looked at him worriedly, hoping he wasn't really going to do what he was thinking.
"You are NOT seriously considering--"

Too late. Mario already leaped in without another word more.
"Mario!" Luigi called out and then internally groaned to himself, beginning to hesitate. He seemed pretty afraid of doing this.
Luigi didn't want to leave his brother behind though. It took him a moment but Luigi ended up digging up some courage anyway and jumped in the hole, holding his nose to avoid breathing in the water as he did so. Things couldn't get worse than they already are to Luigi's understanding.

Once they were inside the sewers, Luigi coughed up the water real quick before following Mario, trudging through the deep water as he continued worrying what the next move was.
"We've gotta get to that ratchet valve!" Mario shouted to him, pointing to a yellow racthet valve just ahead. It was rattling and steaming profusely which made Luigi feel uneasy. Was it about to burst? If so, wouldn't that kill them? So many questions rushed to his head the more he became worried about it.
"Mamma-Mia..." Luigi sighed in defeat, not believing that he was really fixing to do this little stunt. Mario's done things like these many times before. Maybe this won't turn out so bad with him by Luigi's side.

Unfortunately, the only way to reach the valve to shut it off was to crawl across the large pipe in the center. Mario crawled onto it and started shifting himself forward with almost no hesitation.
Luigi panicked when he looked down, afraid of slipping and falling that far down. Luckily, he took a deep breath and started following Mario anyway. Hopefully Mario knew what he was doing.

The meter next to the valve only continued increasing, which made wasn't a good sign. Anytime it could blow! Mario knew he had to get there before that happened. He tried his best to keep himself from panicking. Hopefully, this wasn't a mistake.