Chapter Seven: Oh Brother...

(I hate this chapter's title but I couldn't think of anything else to put there- 💀)

"Don't worry! Dr.Mario is here!"

"And Dr. Luigi!"

Bright smiles spread on both young boys' faces as they put on their extremely large white coats and doctor accessories in delight.
"Let's check our patient!" Little Mario glanced at his taller but younger brother. Both boys ran up to their younger-looking father on his big red chair.
"Oh boys, you don't have to--" Their father tried being polite to his sons, trying to tell them that it was all just a simple cold. His pale face told the Mario Brothers otherwise, however. After all, they weren't very good listeners when it came to this kind of stuff.
As this happened, their mother watched from the kitchen, icing a strawberry cake marked 'Happy Birthday'.

After all, today was their father's birthday... Of course, he got sick on that day as well, unfortunately.

"Don't worry, Dad! We'll figure out why you're sick and find the solution to help you feel better!" Mario stated, determination written on his small face. Their Dad couldn't help but smile at their enthusiasm anyway. After all, they were only 7-8 years old at the time.
Luigi nodded as both boys continued the check-up. Mario hopped up onto the chair his father was sitting in and began examining him with several different operating tools.

"Temperature?" Mario glanced at young Luigi, who was checking off a list on his small green clipboard.
"101.7!" He answered with a slightly concerned look. Hopefully, it wasn't as big of a deal as they thought it was after all.
"Blood pressure?" Mario asked again, taking a stethoscope and checking their Dad's heart rate.
"130/80!" Luigi stated once again, scribbling more notes.

In reality, he was just drawing a really sick version of their Dad to the best of his ability.

"Screening?" Mario continued on, putting his stethoscope away and looking at Luigi, who at this point, had accidentally drawn onto himself while 'taking notes'.
He opened his mouth to speak but stopped in thought and confusion. Both brothers had gone through several different books on what they should be when they grow up. Doctor was just one of those options.

But screening wasn't on that list for checkups.

"What...?" Luigi looked up at his older brother in confusion for a moment.
"Just kidding!" Mario giggled. He then hopped off the arm of the chair and hopped over next to Luigi, peeking over the notes in admiration. Luigi looked up at their father and showed him the drawing.

"Diagnosis: You have a cold! :D"

Dad chuckled in delight.
"Yeah... I think I noticed that..." He says to them while sniffling. Their mother chuckled while hearing this in the kitchen.
"Solution: Get plenty of rest and stay warm!" Mario concluded, giving the drawing to Dad happily.
"And make sure to drink warm liquids too! It'll help you feel better for sure!" Luigi added in, nodding as he stated this. Mario agreed with him.
"And, how long have you guys been practicing this kind of stuff? You guys wanna be doctors when you get older, huh?" Dad smiled at how open-minded his sons were. They weren't even close to adulthood yet and they were already excited to go out there and do many great things! Luigi shyly held his clipboard as Mario put his hands behind his back admittingly.
"Well... I'm not sure yet... we've decided on a lot of things but... I don't know if we have what it takes..." Mario mumbled, feeling a bit down that they had no idea what they were going to do with their lives yet. Luigi tried brightening up the mood. Whatever Mario wanted to do, Luigi wanted to do it too... and Mario was 100% okay with that.
"Yeah! We tried doctors, construction workers, sports champions, martial artists, professional racers, and-" As Luigi continued speaking, he began to think more about it. They've tried so many options and none of them would stick them. Were they ever going to make something of themselves in adulthood?
Their Dad smiled with care before leaning down to his son's levels. He knew better than that.
"Bah, you don't have to worry about all that adult stuff, boys... that's all in the glorious future! For now, you should just stick to what's happening now, or... you'll miss it." Their Dad then set his hands on both the Mario bros shoulders. Luigi smiled delightfully while Mario looked at him with a deadpan expression, knowing he was still sick.