Chapter Thirteen: Sad Girl

(Super Mario Galaxy reference go brrr)

Over across the lands, under a giant glowing blue mushroom tree, sat Luigi and the Knoble Knight as they settled themselves down for the night. The cool crisp air, the soft sound of the sprinkling rain bouncing against the mushroom cap, and the gentle cold breeze seemed to ease Luigi's mind but only for a small moment.

Mario loved nights like these...

Luigi set his head back against the neck of the mushroom and sighed in defeat, his green cap flipping down on his face as he did so.
While (Y/n) was busy gazing at the stars, thinking about her friends, she heard Luigi's saddened sound of defeat and turned over to him.
"Thinking about your brother?..." She asked with a concerned and caring expression on her face. Suddenly, a small yellow butterfly began fluttering around (Y/n)'s face. It tried settling itself on her nose but she backed her head away and began trying to shoo the animal away. Of course, the butterfly continued trying to sit on her anyway.

As (Y/n) continued struggling to get the butterfly away, Luigi looked down and twiddled his thumbs around for a moment in thought. He then finally looked over at her with a sad and worried face. By the time he looked at her, (Y/n) had already smacked the butterfly away.

"We've never been apart for this long before..."

(Y/n) looked at him as her smile softly faded at this. She knew what it was like. To lose someone you care about, to not stop thinking about them, to never know when or if you'll see them again. It was heartbreaking.
"Yeah... I know how that feels..." She softly mumbles while crossing her arms over he knees. She looked down at the wet pebbles beneath them as the rain continued dancing them, leaving dark wet spots all over the grey pebbles like paint.

Luigi turned  back to her once more, his expression changing from sadness to wonder. How could someone as brave and daring as her feel how he feels? Had she lost somebody she loves before? Had she failed to stand up for her friends and loved ones? Had she been afraid of trying to be a hero before? That sounded impossible to him.

Even though he had only just met her three hours ago...

"Y-you do...?" Luigi asked in wonder. (Y/n) stayed silent in response for a small moment.

They had decided to start Luigi's training first thing tomorrow morning before heading to the Penguin Kingdom ruins. Right now, as it stood, they were just at the edge of Yoshi's Island. They had to go the long way around so they wouldn't be spotted by Bowser and his goons. Which meant they had to go through Sarasaland. They would go through the Mushroom Kingdom and the Dark Lands too but the Dark Lands we're swarmed with monsters...

And for some reason, (Y/n) felt she was not ready to return home yet...

The look Luigi could read on (Y/n)'s face told him maybe he shouldn't push on about why exactly she felt she was in the same boat as him. The Knoble Knight, however, started telling him anyway, feeling as if she finally needed to tell somebody after so long...

"You may not know this but I was the Princess's knight...and her best friend..."

Memories started flooding through her mind as she explained this thoroughly. Princess Peach and the Knoble Knight were sitting on top of a mountain, staring off into the great unknown with bright smiles on their faces. The wind gently picking up as their hair practically floats in the breeze.

"Before everything happened, we were friends with one of the other princesses too...everything was peaceful between the kingdoms..."

A bright, energetic brown-haired princess with an orange dress and green flower earrings, looking somewhat similar to Peach, suddenly ran up behind the two and hugged their shoulder together tightly in excitement. The three girls began to laugh delightfully.