27 - Worship You

Y/N's POV

I've never thought Heeseung and I would come to this. I stare at him with wide eyes as he holds eye contact, his gaze piercing holes through me. I don't pay attention to the meeting. Heeseung does most of the talking and I just sit there, people stealing glances at me while I try to pull myself out of my thoughts. I can't believe him. I can't believe anything that's happening around me. Everything is fucked up.

"Y/N." When the meeting is done and everyone is gone, he approaches me, his steps hesitant yet his tone determined. "I can explain-"

"What will you even explain? The way we're married all of a sudden? Or the way I'll have to pretend to be your wife from now on?" I stand up, my fists tight. "Just tell me, Heeseung, am I a joke to you?" I watch while he runs his fingers through his hair and sighs heavily. I'm the one who should be annoyed. I should be mad. I should be frustrated. Yet all I am is hurt and confused.

"I had to." He rests his hands on his hips, looking away for a moment as he struggles to find the right words. "You're the only one who- you're the only one."

"I'm the only one who you can mess with," I say, my own words breaking my heart. "Is that it?"

"Y/N, stop. You know damn well that I'm not playing. I can't let anyone be the chairman and you know that-"

"Well, I can't do this, Heeseung! I can't be someone's obligation, someone's means to an end. I need to be with someone who wants me for me, not just because they need to fulfill a clause in a will." I hate the way my eyes brim with tears, but the more I speak, the more hurt I feel. "And you know that. You know I don't want to be in a marriage out of duty or pity. It's not fair for either of us."

Heeseung's jaw clenched as he stares at me and I can see the turmoil inside him. I've always been drawn to him, to the raw intensity that emanates from him. But this is hurting me. It's hurting both of us. "Would it be better if I marry someone else then?" He looks pained when the words leave his lips. "Would that make things easier for you?"

My heart clenches at his words, the tears drying up in an instant. "What?" The thought of him marrying someone else makes my heart ache.

He steps closer, his hand reaching out to touch my cheek. "I said, would it be better if I marry another woman? Someone who doesn't mind being a business transaction, someone who-"

"Would you want it?" I say and he tenses, taking a step back before I take a step closer, my heart pounding in my chest. "Do you want to marry someone else?" I repeat, my voice shaky but it doesn't matter, all that matters is the truth behind his words.

He doesn't answer immediately and his eyes dart away from mine. "It's not about what I want," He finally says, his voice low. "It's about what needs to be done."

"That's not an answer, Heeseung," The anger and hurt are bubbling up inside me again and I find myself clenching my fists, trying to keep my emotions in check. "Do you want to marry someone else-?"

"No." He looks into my eyes, making me forget how to breathe for a moment. "I don't even think about marriage or any of that bullshit. But if I need to then I want it to be with you. You're the only woman I can ever think of marrying, even if it's just a far-off possibility right now." My heart clenches at his words, the anger dissipating as quickly as it came. "I know this isn't how either of us wanted this to happen, but I need you to understand that you're not just an obligation to me, Y/N. You're the only person I trust enough to do this with me."

My heart softens towards him. "What happens to us now?"

"We can figure it out together. Wife and husband." His thumb brushes over my cheek. "I can make you happy, Y/N. I promise."