35 - Under The Influence

Y/N's POV

"You didn't call."

I step inside Heeseung's new office, slowly closing the door behind me. "Because it didn't seem like she wanted me dead. I had a fun time with Olivia, she's pretty fun." He's sitting on the chair in front of the desk as if it's not his, and it makes me wonder if what I'm thinking about is right. I walk to him, carefully sitting on his lap while he gives me a surprised but amused look. Then I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss his cheek. "Were you worried?"

His surprise quickly turns into a warm smile as he wraps his arms around me, holding me close. "Yes. Olivia being nice all of a sudden did raise some concerns."

"She's always been nice, Heeseung. A little intimidating and sometimes blinded by her own insecurities. We all have layers, after all, and sometimes it takes time and understanding to see beyond the façade we put up."

"I suppose you're right." He chuckles softly, his fingers gently caressing my back as he listens attentively. "I was afraid you'd overthink the situation with her, though."

I lean my head against his shoulder, holding his hand while looking at the ring on his finger. "Well, maybe I did at first. But spending time with her helped me realize that there was nothing to fear. We had a genuine conversation, cleared the air, and I saw a different side of her. It was actually quite refreshing. Besides, you and I have a pretty good thing going on, don't we?" I raise my hand to show him the ring and a gasp escapes my lips as I notice the way the sunlight dances on the delicate diamond, casting a mesmerizing glow.

Heeseung's eyes light up as he gazes into my eyes, his thumb gently tracing my lower lips. "You don't know how happy you make me, pretty." His fingers trace a delicate path along my jawline before he holds my face tenderly in his hands.

"Do you like the new office?" He tenses at my words and I get the answer to my unasked question. "How does it feel being the new chairman?"

His expression flickers with guilt and hesitation as he processes my question. His thumb ceases its caress, and he takes a deep breath before responding. "It's... complicated." His eyes search mine, and I rest my hands on his chest while he clenches his jaw and runs his fingers through his hair. "I can't help but feel guilty as if I've taken something that rightfully belonged to someone else. I know he believed in me and saw potential, but sometimes I doubt if I'm truly worthy of stepping into his shoes."

His internal struggle echoes through his every gesture and expression. I can see it in the lines etched on his forehead and the way his eyes dart around, searching for answers he may never find. He has always been a man of action but this particular role seems to have awakened a vulnerability within him. He is grappling with a conflict between honoring Je Chul's trust in him and the haunting question of whether he deserves it. It's in moments like these that I realize how deeply his heart is capable of caring.

"It's okay to doubt yourself, Heeseung, but anyone can see the man you truly are. Your dedication and your unwavering integrity. Je Chul saw that too. He chose you because he believed in you, just as I do." Leaning closer, I let my hands slide up from his chest, gently cradling his face. I feel his breath mingling with mine, the space between us vanishing as our foreheads touch. "I believe in you."

"Thank you, Y/N," I feel his warm breath against my skin as he leans in, his lips gently brushing against mine. "For believing in me when I struggle to believe in myself."

"Am I heavy?" I blurt out and he looks at me for a moment before his laughter fills the air and he shakes his head, his amusement contagious.

"Darling, I lift much heavier weights at the gym and you're nothing compared to that." Fuck, that's hot.

I playfully narrow my eyes at him, pretending to be offended. "Is that so? Well, maybe I need to start joining you at the gym then. Show you what I'm made of."

"I don't mind seeing all this ass bounce while you work out," He smirks. "Maybe you'll surprise me one day. I won't know what hits me when you start pumping iron alongside me." His hands slide down my sides, resting comfortably on my hips as he leans back slightly, taking in the sight before him.

"Oh yeah?" I raise my eyebrow, holding his jaw while he smiles so wide it's making me crazy. And hours later, I'm in my gym clothes while Keith drives us to where Heeseung works out. "Stop looking at me."

His lips part slightly, his eyes never leaving mine. "You're driving me insane, you know that?"

"Good. That's exactly what I intended."

The closer we get to Heeseung's training area, the sound of clanging weights and chatter from other gym-goers fades into the background while he holds my hand and leads the way. We eventually find a spot near the treadmills and I frown. He hates cardio.

"Bring it on, pretty. Let me enjoy the view."

I playfully roll my eyes, trying to ignore the heat that rises to my cheeks. "Go lift your weights, Mr. Muscles. I'll take care of the cardio for both of us."

I start the treadmill while Heeseung steps onto the one beside me, the scent of his cologne mingling with the energy of the gym, making it difficult for me to concentrate. I step on the treadmill, forgetting completely that I already had started it. My foot slips, and I stumble backward, but before I can lose my balance, he wraps his arms around me, pulling me back against his chest.

"Careful, pretty. I got you." His voice is filled with concern, his grip firm yet gentle. My heart is about to burst out of my chest and I end up laughing. "You really know how to make an entrance, don't you?"

"I can't help it if you distract me." He laughs, his voice vibrating against my back while I catch glimpses of other people stealing glances our way, whispering, and exchanging curious looks. "Shit, people are staring."

"I don't care about them," He whispers, his lips brushing against my ear. "All that matters is you and me, right here, right now."

I fake a gasp, pushing him off me. "We'll leave this for later tonight. Now, focus on your workout."

"Oh, so you're putting me back in my place now?" He smirks.

"You're impossible," I say, shaking my head in amusement. "But seriously, go and get those gains. I'll be here, cheering you on."

"Yes, ma'am." And these two words linger in my mind, making my heart flutter and my imagination go wild.