2

Finely Floyd~

" Mama, I can do that " I spoke softly, watching her run her hands over the already smooth blankets.

I watched as she folded over about 6 inches of the top part of a blanket so it looked 'Neat'.

I know this because she has told me many times before that a bed isn't completely done being made unless you fold part of the blanket over at the top.

This time was no different, at least if you don't count the fact that she was making my bed instead of me.

I leaned against the doorway as I watched her movements, my leg practically burning with pain.

" it's ok " she turned, wiping the back of her hand against her forehead.
" You should be resting " she spoke, her accent thick as she put her hands on her hips while looking me up and down.

" Mama, you look exhausted. Felix won't care if the beds are made. " I stated, ignoring her suggestion to rest.

I'm not sick- I don't need to rest.

" I haven't seen him in years. I want everything to be perfect " She huffed, walking forward and squeezing past me to get through the doorway.

" Mama " I sighed, turning my body to look at her. " It's not how clean the house is that's going to make everything perfect. What's going to make it perfect when he walks through that door is seeing you after years of him leaving "  I spoke, looking at my mother who stopped wiping down the table after she processed my words.

" Aren't you happy that he's coming back? " I didn't answer her question, making her raise an eyebrow before looking away, going back to the task of cleaning the house so it was spotless.

I took a breath when I heard the front door open, my mom stopping her movements and turning her head to look at him when he walked through the door completely.

" Mom! " I flinched at his loud voice and the slamming of the door, closing it.

My mom's face quickly lit up, a grin plastered on her face immediately as she quickly threw the rag in the sink.

I turned to look at him. His hair was a mess and looked like it had been bleached, his natural black hair growing in at top. He had a stubble and looked completely different from the brother I used to know and love.

His eyes searched the room, his lips in a straight line and his face looking like he hadn't slept in days.

" Son! " My mother walked to him, wrapping her arms tightly around him "  Te extrañé! " (I missed you!)

My mom pulled back, giving him a once over as she stepped back a little, her grin still present.

" How are you? " she asked.

" Good. Mom, I'm tired, can we talk later? I had a long flight " It wasn't exactly a question, he just walked past us both and went to his room, shutting the door loudly.

My mother turned to me, her arms by her side as her smile dropped.

" Mama, are you alright? "

" Yea, Why? " she didn't look at me as she spoke. She just went to the table and sat down on the nearest chair, her expression suddenly sullen.

" Hey, Mama. Do you wanna go out? Leave Felix to unpack " I suggested " He's probably tired from the trip and will want to hang out with us tomorrow. We can take him to Johnny's tomorrow for supper. " I spoke, trying to erase the frown that she now had on her face by offering to take her out to eat with her favorite son tomorrow.

" That- that sounds nice. Where do you wanna go? " she turned to look at me, her smile looking forced.

" Let's go out- watch a movie or something and go out for dinner. My treat " I smiled. " Go get ready. We'll leave soon "

" I'm already ready " she huffed, a smile growing on her face- its small but present nonetheless.

I laughed softly, following her out the door.

She was waiting in the driver seat, all ready to go as I struggled to get down the steps.

When I eventually got to the car, I opened the back door, leaning on the car as I pushed my crutches in the back seat.

I struggled while opening the door, dropping my body onto the seat after I succeeded in my mission.

As soon as I closed the door, she started to back out of the driveway, talking excitedly about spending time outside the house.

" It feels like I haven't been out in forever " she looked at me with a smile, holding the wheel with both hands as I leaned my head back, breathing heavily as pain shot through my leg.
" Are you ok? " She looked at the road for a minute before looking at me with a worried expression.

" Yea " I nodded, trying to ignore the pain.

I turned my head to look at her, her eyes now off me and onto something else.

" I must've forgotten to put gas in the car, we're almost out " she sighed, looking at me with her lips pressed tightly together.

" Mama, it's ok... I need gum anyway " I looked at her.

I didn't really need gum.

I looked out the window, watching the scenery outside change.

We were silent until she pulled into a sketchy looking gas station that almost looked like it was about to go out of business.

I took a breath, ready to try and get the crutches from the back seat.

" Wait here " My mom said quickly, rushing to get out of the car before slamming the door shut.

I heard the back door open and close in a matter of a minute.

She continued to confuse me when she opened my door, holding my crutches in her arms as she helped me stand.

I smiled, watching as she walked back around the car to get gas once I was standing upright.

I took my time walking to the front of the store, but when I did, I sighed as I put my weight on my left foot, the pain flowing through me.

I banged my right crutch against the glass, trying to figure out if I could've opened the door myself.

I watched as the guy looked at me through the glass, throwing his head back as he got out of his chair, walking towards the door lazily and opening it so I could walk in.

I rolled my eyes as he sat back down behind the counter, glaring at me like I was the worst person ever because I made him get up.

I truly am awful for making a worker actually do something other than play on their phone. How dare I?