Chapter 7

3 months later             

             “Don’t you just love the fresh sea air guys?” asked Captain Sora of the SS Oblivion. One hand on the steering wheel and the other in his pocket, he addressed the passengers with a magnificent smile on his tanned face.  A total prince in detail, or at least Roxas thought so.

                Axel and Naminé may be less so, “Hey, are we…there yet?” he asked before offering his breakfast to the sea.

                “Why…are we…here…again, Roxas?” Naminé questioned before joining her boyfriend on the boat’s railing.

                “Because we’ve never been on the islands before, do you guys want out already?” teased Roxas, painfully moved his gaze to watch his two best friends throw up all over the once beautiful ocean sea now tainted with a green mist.

                “Whatever Rox…” replied Axel. Roxas rolled his eyes and started staring at Sora again as the boat began to slow down once they got near their destination.

                “Hey Sora!” called out Riku, running down to meet the arrivers to the island, “Where’s Vanitas?”

                “Oh he and Rox’s brother decided to hang out back in town, so it’s just the six of us.”

                “Six?” asked Axel who began visibly counting on his fingers.

                “Yes six,” Answered a red haired girl, coming out of one of the tree houses.

                “Oh hey it’s Kairi…” Axel nervously said to Naminé who was glaring harshly at Kairi. 

                “YOU! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?” yelled Naminé who began marching towards the unfazed girl.

                “Oh come on Naminé! Couldn’t you let that go? That was five years ago!”

                “IT’S BAD ENOUGH I HAVE TO SEE YOUR MUG AROUND SCHOOL NOW YOU HAVE TO RUIN MY SATURDAY AFTERNOON DON’T YOU?  

                “Well I have been coming to this island more than you Naminé,” she reasoned, the look of impatience finally surfacing.

                “WHATEVER! Axel, you me bushes NOW!” she commanded, her red headed boyfriend nodded furiously and they ran off to their own adventure.

                “Well… that could have gone worse I suppose,” sighed Kairi, wiping her brow, “My cousin can hold a pretty mean grudge.”

                “Haha tell me about it,” laughed Roxas.

                “Come on Rox, we’ll show you around the island!” announced Sora, clamping a hand to the blonde boy’s shoulder.

                “Actually Sora, me and Kairi have some business to…um… attend to,” Riku awkwardly explained.

                Sora smiled wickedly, “Oh okay… you guys go ahead!” Riku nodded in gratitude and whisked Kairi in some unknown direction. “Well I guess it’s just you and me then Roxas.”

                Roxas smiled nervously, “Haha yeah.”

                So the two teens spent the day exploring the island. Sora showed him around, mostly in some huge tree house in which Roxas got lost multiple times if Sora had not been clinging onto his hand. He also told him of the legend of the papou fruit and the eternal bond that is was told to create.

                “Do you see this curved tree right here?” the brunette guide asked, placing a palm on the wood; Roxas nodded in fascination. “Well this is where we get the fruit, there’s some there right now!” he exclaimed, pointing to the area underneath the leaves.

                “Can we get one?” Roxas asked.

                “Yeah sure!” Sora steadily climbed the wooden trunk and took one of the star shaped fruits. “So who are you planning to share it with?” he asked as he landed back on the sandy floor.

                “I was hoping to share it with you!” thought Roxas as he took it from him. “Oh I don’t know, maybe Olette.”

                “Oh… oh yeah there’s one more thing I got to show you!” he realized, he took Roxas’s hand and guided him inside a hidden cave right below one of the tree houses. “This is our secret cave, only me Riku and Kairi know about. But I think you and I have become pretty good friends that you should know about it too!”

                “Oh wow! This is amazing!” Roxas sighed in awe. The dimly lit cavern was beautiful, the three friends have obviously been busy in here. Both boys were surrounded by drawings, sketches and other pieces of art that depict the many adventures they had. But one caught Roxas’s eye, it was of a boy smiling happily with someone else holding his little hand. “Sora, thank you for showing me this.”

                “No problem!”

                “Hey what’s that?” he asked, moving towards a particular chalk drawing. It was of Kairi holding a papou fruit morsel to a boy’s mouth while the boy did the same. As he examined it closer, he realized that the boy was Sora.

                “So you like…Kairi?” he asked, trying hide the disappointment in his voice.

                “Yeah… I kinda do but Riku’s my best friend and I don’t want to ruin their relationship” he explained, “hey we better get back, it’s getting late.”

                The two boys exited the cave and made their way back to the boat. The thoughts transpiring through Roxas’s mind were going insane, “He likes Kairi… not me… I knew it… well you know what they say about loving something… it’s for the best I suppose.”

                They waited for the two couples to be finished in whatever nasty deed they’ve been up to and they made their way back to the mainland. When they were docked and about to leave the ship, Roxas saw his brother wave to him from across the street.

                “HEY GUYS!” Ven greeted rather loudly, causing him to gain a few rude stares. He excitedly began running towards the parked boat to aid with the luggage, but in his excitement he didn’t see the oncoming car.