CHAPTER 39 : Family

"This doesn't make sense"

"This doesn't make sense". Nikolai muttered looking into the distance. This was the first he'd spoken since I came into his bedroom.

"I know it doesn't but I love her Nikoloi and you know I don't say those words easily unless I mean it.. And I mean it.

Nikolai jerks his head towards me. "Love?" He scoffs. "Jesus Leo. I love my sister enough to know she deserves better. Up until last week you hated her."

"I never hated her." I state. I may have done questionable things to her that I wish I could take back but I never hated her.

"Yeah right. For years you've been telling me of how she ruined the relationship between you guys  because you figured out she liked you and you said" I have to pull away from her because she'll think I like her back." and don't say you didn't because I remember it like it was yesterday.

It was true. The reason I acted like a dick to her was to show her I didn't like her back but it never worked because over the years she still liked me and then grew to love me.

That was 7 years ago.

I was 17 at the time and Aurora was 15. I figured out she liked me at a family picnic when she looked at me a lot longer than a person with no romantic feelings would.

"That was a long time ago Nikolai things change."

"Yeah, maybe, but not you."

"I guess you don't know me as well as you think you do."

Nikolai scoffs and shakes his head. "How long do you think it will be  until you miss your weekly hook ups and going out?"

I look at him and say nothing. "My guess. A month."

"I love her Nikolai, I know I have been an asshole in the past but I want to spend the rest of my life with her and our baby. I would never leave them and I would never cheat on her."

He's looking the other way but I can practically feel his eyes roll. "-And I'm sorry for hurting you, that wasn't my intention I swear."

When he doesn't look at me I start to panic. What if being with Aurora means that I have to lose Nikolai.

"Nikolai your my brother. We've known each other since we were children, you know everything there is to know about me, so you must know that I love her. I would never do anything to hurt her. I would stand in front of a flying bullet if it meant protecting her and my child. I will never hurt them and that's a promise."