Chapter 4

April 11th, 1774

I was trained to be married.

After all, many, if not all girls in Versailles are. While the boys of Versailles would be at school, my sisters and I were trained to be a good wife. However, my mother also taught us a few things that boys were taught in school, such as writing, reading, languages, and even arithmetic.

Today, I hope the things I learned about marriage will prove useful.

"Is this too much?", I feared, whilst my mother was helping me with makeup after putting on my white robe de mariage, which had a golden ribbon on the bosom, along with golden ruffles, even with a white ribbon in the back. I could barely recognize myself in the mirror anymore; my blonde hair was now powdered white; high up and towering, and I felt my corset was tighter than usual. My skirts were descended to the floor while I fiddled with the ruffles at the end of my sleeves. I could only take half a breath, as my breathing was now restricted. My heels pinched me while Louise put some pearls and flowers in my hair.

"You look perfect, Adrienne", my older sister admired. I wished to speak, however my mother was placing red paint on my lips with a small brush. Louise placed a pearl necklace around my neck, "And if you have any questions, you can ask anything, especially about the marriage bed."

She grinned, and her cold fingers grazed over my shoulder. I must have been red, however I could not tell due to the white powder on my face. "He will know what to do", she reassured. However, I could feel myself cringe thinking about it. Not because I did not want to, but because it felt too soon, and the awkward thought held itself in my mind.

"Please, do not talk about the marriage bed right now", our mother sighed, "as there will be no bedding ceremony. You girls are too young, in my opinion." I held in a sigh of relief, and looked at myself in the mirror one last time. "I had fought with your father to not let that happen, believe me", mother continued her tangent before opening the bedroom door. "Do not scare your sister any more, Louise", mother scolded. Louise giggled, and I held up my skirts to be able to walk down the staircase.

Gilbert was waiting for me downstairs, as it is tradition for the groom to escort the bride to the ceremony. He wore a black suit which was embroidered with designs of golden and white flowers. He smiled at me, taking my hand. "You look beautiful, Adrienne." My hand fit delicately into his, whilst he seemed to make sure I would not fall while we walked down the steps, keeping his hand safely and firmly around mine. It was on rare occasions that I could see him, as he lived on a different wing in the mansion.

Ever since our kiss, my heart had ached for him. I remember days where, while I was doing my daily tasks, I wondered what he was up to.

True love made more sense now.

The cathedral was not far from here. Gilbert helped me out of the carriage by holding my hand, until my feet safely landed onto the stone ground. I felt a sense of comfort from my wedding jitters with my soon-to-be husband walking beside me. I smiled, noticing my family was already there, seeing Paule and Rosalie in front of the cathedral, along with other children, with white ribbons in their tiny hands.

Rosalie looked thrilled upon seeing me in my gown. I smiled down at her, cutting the ribbons they were holding; another tradition that represented dealing with challenges throughout the marriage.

"Are you ready?", Gilbert asked me softly.

"To be honest, I do not think I am." I laughed gently, causing him to smile.

"I will be waiting for you at the front of the aisle, and will be with you and here for you every step of the way after the wedding." He gave my hand a gentle squeeze, causing me to blush.