Chapter 20

September 17th, 1782

I practiced on the harpsichord in the sitting room; it was white and decorated with a design of delicate flowers and enchanting birds, while the salon was painted peacock blue, with the chairs being dark brown with teal cushions, the end tables being dark brown, as well. The blue curtains added peace to the room, whilst I plucked the keys on the instrument, looking at the musical notes, with the pamphlet having some Moyreau and Couperin, trying to figure it out, as I hadn't played ever since I was a child. I glanced over at Georges for a moment, who was playing with soldier toys and Anastasie was playing with her doll, while the fetus inside me kicked against my womb, continuing to put pressure farther down.

While I tapped a key, playing a light 'ding!' throughout the room, I heard familiar footsteps, turning my head. "You play quite well", my husband grinned, glancing at our beloved children for a moment before turning his head to face me.

I smiled modestly, "do not lie, Gilbert. It is a sin", I replied, my fingers hovering over the keys. He chuckled, sitting on the cushion, next to me, rubbing my back, which was feeling sensitive, slightly.

"How are you feeling?" He caressed my hand that was laying gently against a key, kissing my knuckles. I smiled, leaning into his shoulder. He truly does care for me.

"I am feeling pressure, but of course the doctor said that is expected so late into the pregnancy." Gilbert rubbed the curve of my stomach, which seemed firm, before kissing it gently. I glanced outside the window, and the sun was starting to rise. Unfortunately, I couldn't get enough sleep lately, due to Anastasie and Georges waking me up for certain reasons throughout the night, and the baby in my womb sometimes disrupting my sleep, like last night.

"I feel I need something to eat." Gilbert nodded, taking my hand in his, and his other taking my back, helping me stand. "Children, you should have some breakfast, as well", he told them, which caused them to get up.

Serving up some bread and butter with fruit, cheese, and a cup of hot chocolate, the children happily ate their breakfast, whilst I sat down to eat the same thing, as well. While I ate, I felt pains and pressure in my abdomen, placing my hand at the bottom of my bump, trying to settle the pain.

Gilbert looked over at me, "Darling? What is wrong?" He placed his hand on my lower back, trying to soothe me. "False contractions, again?" I nodded, sipping my hot chocolate, hoping it would go away. After all, I have been pregnant for seven months, possibly longer. "Mama?", Anastasie asked warily, whilst I rubbed the painful area.

"I'm alright, Anastasie. I will take a bath, to soothe the contractions. Please, finish your breakfast." I smiled to not worry my children-- well, my daughter. Georges, the two-year-old oblivious to the world around him, happily ate his cut-up apples.

While the baby continued to move around the womb, Gilbert helped me up after I was done eating. "Please, let me do the dishes", I mumbled to Desplaces when he offered to take my plate. Gilbert watched me in disbelief, whilst I picked up my children's plates and mugs.

"My love, are you sure you do not need help?", he asked, his voice filled with care while I moved the dishes to the washbasin to be cleaned, using a pitcher to fill it. "I am alright", I tried to reassure him, whilst scrubbing the dishes with my hands and soap, having to place my wet, right hand on the side, to take a breath.

Gilbert stepped over to me, placing his hand on my shoulder. "Sit down, I'm concerned for you", his voice sounded soft, "you are tired and in pain; you should not be doing housework." I let out a sound of pain, placing my hand on my bump.

Just then, I had felt a warm, gushing sound trickle down my body. When I first thought I had embarrassed myself, I realized the liquid felt eerily familiar, not feeling a relief inside me, either. I looked down at my feet, seeing a puddle of water on the hardwood planks.