Chapter 7

Autumn, 1777

"Would you like some tea?", I asked my grandmother, who was visiting for a few days with Louise, cradling my four-month-old daughter, Anastasie, who cooed and gurgled, lifting her small hands in the air happily, while Henriette played with a little wooden horse on the rug. "Thank you, dear." Grandma smiled, taking the teacup. I smoothed out my skirts, sitting down next to the two women when my father walked in with a newspaper. "Your dear Gilbert has made the paper, Adrienne." My eyes widened, "What?" Henriette giggled, "Papa!", when she heard her fathers name. My sisters all gathered around me once my father gave it to me. It read:

Lafayette Defeats A Thousand British Soldiers At Brandywine

The article read the British had defeated the Continental's and that my poor husband was shot in the left calf, however I felt a sense of pride within me that he had been so brave. I smiled warmly. "Your husband's a hero, Adrienne! Do you realize that?", Louise asked. "He still continued fighting!", Clotilde added. My sister's words of shock left me with even more joy. 

"I must write to him!", I gasped, standing up and putting Henriette down. When I was about to race to my room, Louise grabbed my arm. "Adrienne, you mustn't be in such a rush; his response to your last letter still hasn't arrived! We should celebrate!"

"Celebrate?", I asked.

"Yes, Adrienne! Celebrate!" She spun me around, causing me to laugh in even more joy, "We should come to Marie Antoinette's masquerade ball!"  

 "Oh, Louise. In case you haven't noticed, I had two young daughters. I don't have time for parties", I chuckled.  "I can watch them", Grandma stepped in.

"Come on, Adrienne! Grab your mask and your best dress-", Louise began, attempting to lead me upstairs. 

"Not so fast", Mother interrupted. "You are to bring Clotilde, too. She is 13 now, and hasn't been to a ball like this, yet. You can only go if you bring her." Louise and I looked at each other, "Alright", she sighed. 

"I have a spare mask in my bedroom", I said, leading my little sister upstairs.

I stood in a dark blue robe a la française, which had a lacy bodice with bows in the middle, and held a blue fan. "I did not know these dresses were so heavy", Clotilde strained, walking into my room (the door was open) while I put on some dangly white earrings. She wore a beautiful red robe a la française. I gave her a sympathetic smile, "Yes, they are."  

"I thought they'd be more fun to wear", Clotilde mumbled, stealing a fan from my vanity drawer, much to my annoyance, however I did not stop her.  Louise, wearing a pink robe a la française, walked into the room. "Are you two ready? A carriage is already waiting outside." I nodded, grabbing a masquerade mask and lifting my skirts, walking out.

--

"Ma amie, Adrienne, I am so glad you could come", Marie Antoinette smiled, kissing both of my cheeks as my little sister curtsied before her. "Your Grace, this is my little sister, Clotilde." While she tried to keep her composure, her eyes were wide with excitement. "Oh, of course. And Adrienne, how many times must I tell you to simply call me 'Marie'?" I laughed softly, "Far too many." 

"Clotilde, I am so glad to meet you, any relative or friend of Adrienne's and The Marquis, is a friend of mine." Clotilde smiled, "I am glad you can consider me a friend, your-" Marie raised an eyebrow, with a perky smile- "...Marie." She laughed nervously.

"No need to be shy of her, Clotilde. She doesn't bite." I laughed softly, joking around to lighten the mood.

 Louise came back with two small glasses of white wine, and I reluctantly took one. I have been refraining from drinking ever since I had Henriette. "The Comtesse Aglaè de Honolstein is here", she hissed to me. I have her a confused look.

"You still haven't heard what happened?", Louise asked. "I haven't mentioned it to you because I was afraid I would upset you, but Gilbert tried to engage the Comte de Segur into a duel. Rumor is that he is- or was- infatuated by her." Everything in the room seemed to take a pause, and Marie stepped in. "Well- it is normal for a husband to have a mistress, but it doesn't mean he does not love you, Adrienne, and after all, it is a rumor. And Aglae does not have feelings for him, anyway."

"You're right, Marie", I whispered. "And I mustn't blame Aglae. She does not have feelings for him, after all-- which one is she?" Louise pointed to a woman, wearing a purple dress, "Hold my drink."

"What are you going to do?", Clotilde asked.

"I am just introducing myself to her." I smiled, I was not going to do anything; my husband is allowed to have feelings for another woman, but I cannot help but be a little jealous at the thought. But engage in a duel? When he is already married to me? 

"So you're just going to pretend you don't know her?", Louise asked, with a smirk on her face. I couldn't ignore the situation any longer, approaching the woman. I smiled, and Miss Aglae turned around. "Ah, Madame de Honolstein", I smiled, my voice steady despite my racing heart. "Its a pleasure to meet you. I am Adrienne de Lafayette."

She smiled warmly, showing genuine interest in the conversation. "Oh, Madame de Lafayette! Of course! I am delighted to meet you as well; I heard so much about you." Her words were kind, but I couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy deep in my heart, as I tried to engage in the conversation, as the evening wore on.

"Are you alright? You look unwell", Louise asked later on in the night. "I would ask Gilbert about this; however he is not here. I cannot enjoy this night while thinking about-", My voice trailed off, and then I continued. "I just wish I had Gilbert's comfort."

"Oh, Adrienne-", Louise lead me outside. "Whatever your husband had for her, is over now. She never had feelings for him to begin with, Adrienne. You are his wife and he loves you for that." She gave me a handkerchief, "Would you like to go home?"

"Please." She went to find Clotilde. I sat outside, and I felt a little better after our conversation, knowing that considering his treatment of me days before he left for America, and the love letters he sends, he still cares about me.