Chapter 8

October, 1777

I woke up to soft, warm, tiny hands on my face, and I opened my eyes, rubbing the sleep out of them, to see my blonde princess, Henriette, kneeling in front of me. I smiled gently, "Hello, Henriette. Would you like some breakfast? I could ask one of the servants to make whatever you like." My eyes widened, when I saw her coughing upon me. "Dear, what's wrong? Cover your mouth, hon", I whispered. 

"No feel well", she whimpered, sitting in my lap. Her little, infant voice sounded scratchy, and too quiet. "Alright", I breathed shakily, feeling her forehead, which felt hot. "Oh, dear. Henriette, You might be coming down with something. Here, I'll ask someone to get you some water from the well, why don't you stay in bed-", before I could get up, she had clung to my night gown. "You want to stay?", she nodded, her grip tightening on the gown. I sighed, picking her up and bringing her downstairs.

"Good morning, Adrienne- oh dear, what's wrong with Henriette?", Mother asked, seeing my daughter in her sick state. "I- I don't know, she was fine last night, however tired."

"Oh dear, Henri, get a pitcher from the well!", she yelled, and ordered another servant to make some breakfast at once. "Until we know what is going on, she mustn't go near Anastasie", she whispered. "sister", I heard Henriette whisper, leaning into me, which made my heart break. "I will take her to the doctor after breakfast", I declared.

I smiled at Henriette softly to try to cheer her up as I put her in her high chair. She was served eggs and bacon, along with a glass of water. Sitting down next to her, I tried to bring the fork to her lips, however she did not even open her mouth. "Henriette, you must eat", I tried to persuade. "Not hungry", she said quietly. I brought the glass to her mouth, and she slowly drank. 

"I'll go with you", Clotilde told me while I put on my cloak, and Henriette sat on the stairs. "After all, I've been very close to my niece...", she smiled warmly at Henriette, looking down at her, and Mother picked her up. "Alright, Clotilde. Thank you." The three of us walked outside, where the coach was already waiting. Henriette smiled tiredly, falling asleep in my arms as the carriage went off. 

--

"I must speak to the Madame de Lafayette alone, please." Clotilde gave me a look of sympathy, and mother picked up my tired and coughing daughter, shutting the door behind them, and the doctor brought his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

 "Madame, are you certain about her condition in the past few days? That her muscles have been hurting, she has been bleeding easily, she has had little appetite, and all the other things you have said?" I nodded slowly, "yes, I'm afraid. I thought it would go away... until she started coughing this morning... I decided to come to you, there was no other solution..." the clock awkwardly ticked while I looked down at my feet.

"Madame... I am afraid the diagnosis I will have to give her is yellow fever..." My head shot up, and tears brimmed through my eyes. "The symptoms show that, I am afraid. There is a high chance she will not make it-", I desperately grabbed his arm. "Is there a cure?!", I demanded, as tears rolled down my cheeks. "Is there anything you can give her? Anything at all?!" the man seemed to cower, and I let go of him, showing mercy.

"Madame... I... I am afraid... there is no cure... as I said, there is a high chance she will not survive, the most we can do is pray-"

I wailed, screaming and falling to my knees, covering my mouth as my tears hit the floor. Mother raced into the room, shutting the door, where I caught a glimpse of Clotilde coddling my poor daughter in the opening. "What happened?! What did you say to her?!", Mother demanded, helping me up, and tears made my eyesight blurry. "Henriette has yellow fever. I highly recommend bedrest, and only servants to tend to her-"