Chapter 14

April 11th, 1780

I nestled into the softness of the bed, with Georges attached to my nipple, nursing him while he suckled hungrily. Bathing in the golden hues of the early morning, Anastasie's head is partially on my thigh, she had crawled into bed in the middle of the night due to a nightmare, and Gilbert and I let her sleep in between us. With the top part of my nightgown down, which Georges clutched, I fed the nearly five-month-old little one.

Gilbert came back from his morning ride, shutting the door behind him and kissing me gently on the lips. Sitting on my side of the bed, watching me feed our son, he smiled, "Do you know what today is, my love?", he whispered to me, not wanting to wake up our daughter or startle our son. I quietly grinned, knowing very well that today is our sixth anniversary. "Tuesday?", I gently teased him, causing him to knowingly shake his head. "Happy Anniversary, my love", he whispered, kissing my forehead.

"Happy Anniversary." Georges lifted his head off my breast, and I put him on my shoulder, patting his back, causing him to let out a quiet burp. Gilbert smiled at him while I cradled him, while our son stared intently at his father. I laughed quietly at their little staring contest, passing him over to Gilbert.

Anastasie lifted her head, rubbing her eyes, and I smiled at her, "Good morning, dear", I whispered, kissing the top of her head. Tiredly, she crawled into my arms, resting her head on my bosom. "Gilbert, it is still early, would you like to start off our day by taking a nap?", I asked my husband. He smiled, and instead of putting Georges in the nursery, he put him in the bassinet so he could be in the same room as us. "Gladly." Still in his everyday clothes, he took off his boots, crawling into bed, wrapping his arm around my waist. "Hi, Papa", Anastasie whispered, yawning.

My handsome husband grinned, "Good morning, Sweetie." Anastasie changed her mind, crawling into her father's arms, giving him space to rest his head on my bosom. I smiled, knowing this is one of his favorite spots to rest his head, leaning my head on the pillow. Anastasie closed her eyes, and I fell asleep.

Feeling the tickling of soft kisses upon my neck, I giggled, waking up, seeing my husband beside me, with his strong arms wrapped around me. "Anastasie is downstairs having breakfast, and Georges is back in the nursery. You looked so adorable while sleeping, but it is ten in the morning so I had to kindly wake you." I smiled, running my fingers through his auburn hair. "Thank you, Gilbert."

He leaned into my touch, "Your mother hired a wet nurse for the day, and the servants are taking care of Anastasie. I thought I could take you to Paris, so we could have a lovely breakfast at a restaurant." I raised my head, rubbing my eyes and going into the closet to find a beautiful dress for this occasion. "You spoil me."

"Yes, however it is worth it. You always become so happy." I found a beautiful green dress with bows, lace and a low neckline, looking in my jewelry box and deciding to pair it with a golden necklace. Putting it over my petticoat and corset, I smiled to myself, putting on a white powdered wig.

I hoped I still have the same beauty, even after my third time giving birth, however there is only one way to find out. Grabbing a beautiful green fan, I stepped out of the closet, revealing my look to Gilbert. He smiled, getting off the bed, wrapping his arms around my now petite waist. "You're so beautiful."

"Really?", I asked.  I had gained a bit of weight from the pregnancy, however I am still average weight, but cruel people have spoken of it in Versailles. But, I am glad the stretch marks are impossible to show, and, my breasts have grown a little larger due to breastfeeding.

"Really. This dress complements you well. And I will always think you are beautiful, no matter how you look. It is the love that matters." For a second, he glanced at my bosom, before resting his face against my neck. "I am lucky to have you." I shivered at the feeling of his voice, "We mustn't get into risqué antics so early in the morning, Gilbert", I teased. I felt him smirk, adding a joke back. "I don't think anyone would care." Laughing a little, I pulled away from his embrace. "We must go, Henri is waiting."