Chapter 13

December 24th, 1779

"You look beautiful, Adrienne", Gilbert whispered in my ear, as I tried on the dress I was going to wear to the Christmas banquet tonight. It was a beautiful blue dress, and tears rolled down my cheeks. "I wish we could go", I told him, taking off the dress and sitting down on the bed, my back slightly strained. 

"I know, but you are so late in your pregnancy, nobody wants to risk you going into labor at the palace.

"You mean embarrassing myself in front of the French court, embarrassing the king", I whispered, with tears rolling down my cheeks. 

"Shh...", he whispered, rubbing my back and letting me lean into him. "Perhaps if the baby is born by then, we could go to the feast of the Epiphany", he said, trying to cheer me up. "It's going to hurt", I told him.  

He was not present during the two times I gave birth. He received the news that I was in labor with Henriette in Metz, and by the time he had arrived, I was about to push her out. And, of course, he was in America when I gave birth to Anastasie. 

Gilbert helped me get in the regular purple dress I was wearing before, "I know, Addie", he told me, massaging my swollen feet. I rose a brow, placing my hand against my back. "Addie?"

He smiled, his cheeks slightly reddening. "It's a common nickname for 'Adrienne' in America", He explained, kissing my head. I grinned, "I like it." I winced at the back pain I was having, it was worse than normal. Gilbert frowned, moving his hands from my feet to my back. "Are you alright, dear?", he asked. I placed my hand on the curve of my stomach, "I think so", I told him. "Perhaps I need to move around." 

 I waddled next to Gilbert, taking laps around the hallway. I smelled the smell of food in the kitchen. "They are not going to the feast?" Gilbert smiled, putting his hand on my back. "They want to be present at all times, so you are not alone during the birth." I leaned into his shoulder, "They do not have to do this for me."

"Oh, but they do. Childbirth is a dangerous practice, I want you to be healthy." I smiled while Gilbert kissed my cheek. "Would you like to go back to our room?"

"Yes, I would like a nap."

While Gilbert was helping me get my nightgown, I felt another contraction in my stomach, and I winced in pain. He looked over to me, setting my nightgown down. "Are you alright, my dear?" 

I paused, and then nodded. "Perhaps."

I stood up, and he tied the strings on my nightgown, kissing my head, when I fell into his arms from the shock of a painful contraction. "It's alright, Adrienne", he muttered calmly, laying me down on the bed, before running out to notify my family and the midwives. I cried, in pain and fear, knowing this was happening to me again. 

Two of the female midwives raced into the room, prompting me to spread my legs while my breaths echoed in fear, and sweat dripped from my forehead. Gilbert could not be present, considering childbirth is seen as an especially female event. However, I did hear his voice a bit outside the door, telling Anastasie why she could not be in the room with me. 

"It's alright, Adrienne", my mother consoled, while Clotilde wiped the sweat off of my forehead with a cloth, and Louise helped prepare the midwives for the birth. "It hurts", I strained. It frustrated me, Gilbert could not be there, even though he was a door away. "She is far from being able to push", I heard one of the midwives say, causing me to groan in pain and frustration. "Walking around helps", the other suggested. 

Louise supported me by wrapping her arm around my shoulder while we walked, and I leaned into her. I wanted to lie down because of the pain, but if I was in the right position, it decreased it. "Don't worry, dear. This might feel strange, but it will progress faster", my mother told me, while I proceeded to reach a stronger contraction. "It's alright, Adrienne", Clotilde consoled, holding my hand while I walked. "You can do it." That gave me a sense of confidence and comfort, before proceeding to continue to walk.