Chapter 10

Some Paris shenanigans, ft. Ben Franklin <3

March, 1779

March can be fickle.

One day I would be wearing a dress, sitting in the grass and happily playing with Anastasie, as well as practicing walking with her. The next, I could be in front of the hearth, wrapped in a cloak while Gilbert wraps his arms around me for warmth, or in my bed, freezing under the covers until I must get up to feed Anastasie.

This was one of those days. With sleep in my eyes, I hid under the covers, with blurry vision from having just waken up, dreading the feeling of having to pull the covers off me and be cold in my nightgown, rushing to get dressed and put on my stockings. I am certain someone could only see my hair, at the moment. I felt some weight come onto the bed, and I peeked, to see Gilbert hovering next to me on the mattress. His powdered wig was not on yet, but he was already dressed for the day, in a white linen shirt and gray breeches, and I could see his blue habit à la française laying on a chair. "Gilbert, not right now, ten more minutes, minimum", I mumbled, hearing him laugh softly, "No, my dear, I am afraid you have to get up now."

He pulled the covers away from me, seemingly in an attempt to annoy me, but I quickly and stubbornly grabbed them before they reached the sheets, tightly gripping them and pulling them over my shoulders. "Why must you wake me so early?", I mumbled, turning my head. "The sun is not even fully up", I whispered, seeing the still orange sky out the window. 

"Because we are going to Paris today", he hummed. I raised my head, quirking a brow. "Paris?", I echoed. The last time I was there, it was when Henriette was nestled in my womb. He chuckled, kissing my head. "Yes, dear heart. I would like us to live there someday, so Anastasie should see it, and I would like you to meet a dear friend of mine."

"Who is this 'friend'?", I asked, wrapping a blanket around me and going into my closet, pulling out a gray dress with long sleeves and ruffles, along with a white undergarment dress, stockings, a petticoat and a corset. Gilbert chuckled, helping me tie the corset over the undergarments around my waist, picking my petticoat off of the chair and helping me step into it. "Benjamin Franklin."

My eyes widened, and I turned my head. "Benjamin Franklin? The inventor?", I asked excitedly, turning my head back around and pulling my dress over me. "Yes, my dear, and he is excited to meet you." I put on my powdered wig, and slipped into my shoes. "Now, my dear, let's wake up Anastasie, as she will be coming along." I knew that since Anastasie is nearly two, the trip would be cut short a few hours in, but that did not matter to me. 

"Mama, Papa", Anastasie cooed. Now that she is nearly the age of Henriette of at her death, she has some similar looks that remind me of her. She shares my blonde hair, Gilberts facial structure, along with his gentle blue eyes. Gilbert smiled, helping her into a yellow dress and bonnet, while I picked out a small doll to take for the journey so she would stay stimulated, settling on a tiny baby doll. 

"Ready to go on an adventure, Anastasie?", Gilbert cooed, picking her up. Anastasie blinked, and then proceeded to make baby noises whilst holding the doll, excited for her journey. "I'll take that as a yes", I beamed, holding onto the cold railing, and seeing Henri proceeding to make crepes.  

After we had our lovely breakfast, I put on a black cloak, and so did Gilbert, while Anastasie wore a white one. Mother decided Henri should be the one to take us, and that we will head back to Versailles around one. Henri sat at the front of the carriage, holding onto the reigns of the two horses that we got from a nearby stable, Gilbert opened the door for me, and I stepped into the carriage. Gilbert sat across from Anastasie and I, while I held her close, her falling asleep on my chest shortly after we headed for the road.