Chapter 12

Summer, 1779

I woke up, rolling over to reach for my husband's warmth, realizing that all there was, is an empty space. Starting to panic, feeling a repeat of what happened in 1777 when he left with no warning, I got out of bed. "Gilbert!", I wailed, with tears rolling down my cheeks. My grandmother left the guest room, seeing me in distress, moving in after being so lonely, since her husband, the Duc d'Ayen, is at the palace constantly. "Adrienne, dear, whatever is the matter?"

"Gilbert is gone again", I cried, my voice breaking, while I clutched the curve of my bump. "Don't tell me he has gone to America again...", Clotilde mumbled, which did not help the situation one bit. My grandmother put her hand on my shoulder, "That couldn't be the case... he left a note the last time, right, dear?", she consoled. I nodded, realizing he might have only went on a short walk or outing, but still only expected the absolute worst, thinking he might be on a ship to America by now.

"What is the matter?", Henri inquired, witnessing the commotion in the hallway. Clotilde looked up, "Gilbert has left, we do not know where he is."

"Oh, he has gone to Paris. I took him this morning, but he did not explain why." My husband going to Paris without me? We almost always went together. Clotilde and I shared a suspicious look. "Henri, is Jacques awake, by any chance?", asked my sister.

"He indeed is, why may you ask?"

"We would like to request a carriage ride to Paris", I declared, suggesting the same idea.

--

The carriage came to a halt, causing Clotilde and I to slide over. "We are here, Madame de Lafayette, and Mademoiselle de Noailles." I stepped out of the carriage, and the early morning sun began to rise. "Thank you, Jacques", Clotilde hummed, giving him some money. "It is no problem, Mademoiselle. I will be back at nine."

"Ten?", Clotilde tried to persuade.

"Nine. It makes me uncomfortable at the thought of two women being in the city without a man by their side." I sighed, and I almost rolled my eyes, considering I believe I can take care of myself. "As such, I will not be going back to Versailles without you two. Come to this spot if you are in danger", he demanded.

"Alright", Clotilde sighed, turning away and linking her arm with mine, "Let's find your husband."

"What if he only went to Paris, to pick up some things before he left for America?", I asked my sister, feeling uneasy, my lips quivering. Clotilde sighed, while we walked on the cobblestone together. "I believe that Gilbert is doing something different in Paris."

"Which is?", I asked, raising a brow.

"He may have a mistress, Adrienne." I yanked my arm away from my sister, "No! Gilbert is not the type to sneak around! He is faithful, and would never have a mistress without asking me first!" 

"He vowed he would not go to America, and what did he do? He went to America", she pointed out. "As such, he vowed that he would always be there for you, Adrienne." I shook my head, "No... he would never..." 

"He wouldn't want to hurt you by asking for a mistress, Adrienne." I shook my head, fiddling with my fingers. "The thought of him not asking me, and doing it, hurt me more..." 

"He's a man, Adrienne. Men are likely to surprise you."

I did not want to believe it.

With that, Clotilde and I went from shop to shop, tavern to tavern, café to café, looking for my husband's whereabouts. Going to a flower shop, it had no sign of men, however I approached the woman working at the counter. She appeared to be a woman from the third estate, her beautiful red hair laced in a bonnet.