Chapter 11

I smoothed out my skirts, before pouring another cup of jasmine tea, listening to my husband play with Anastasie in the hallway, hearing their laughter echoing from the other room, in the palace of Versailles. "It's unfortunate, really", Marie Antoinette sighed, sipping her tea. "Louis and I did not conceive a child the first seven years of the marriage, but when I gave birth to my beautiful daughter, people are still pressuring me."

I remembered when I gave birth to Henriette, I realized that having a boy was more preferred, considering it will have the family name live on. But despite having two daughters and no sons, Gilbert loved me regardless, telling me that he did not care of the sex of the baby. However, I cannot imagine the stress of the queen. It had been whispered in Versailles for awhile about her and Louis' relationship, the court being angry at her that she did not bare the family a single child yet.

Setting my teacup down, I took her hands. "My dear, I cannot imagine how hard this is for you, but Louis still loves you, right? He may be shy, but I sense love in the marriage. I imagine the time will come, and you will give birth to an heir soon enough."

Relaxing a little, with a soft smile appearing on her lips, Marie took another sip of tea.

"Mama, Mama!" Anastasie ran into the grand room, back from her trip around the palace gardens. Upon entering the room, she gave an adorable curtsy to Marie, who waved a dismissive hand, her body language telling my daughter they have a friendship and she does not need to remain in a formal manner, however her facial expression was intrigued. "I nearly touch the ellie-phan, papa stop me!", she boasted, describing the pet elephant enclosed in the great outdoors. Standing behind her in his tall stature, Gilbert laughed softly, "I couldn't let her startle it", he shrugged playfully, while Anastasie continued to chirp excitedly about seeing an elephant.

Smoothing out her skirts, Marie propped Anastasie up on her lap. "Tis really big, Majesty!", she told Marie, continuing to talk about the elephant, kicking her legs softly. Marie gave her a warm smile, "Yes, it indeed is!" she did not bother to tell her, again, to call her Marie, and I was proud that my daughter was so polite, while she continued to babble about her adventures in the gardens.

My grandfather, otherwise known as the Duc d'Ayen, stepped into the room. "Your majesty, your shopping has arrived." Plopping Anastasie into my husband's arms, Marie took my hands. "Adrienne, you must get something and wear it to the banquet tonight!" I shook my head, "Oh... Dear Marie... I mustn't... I can buy my own clothes... I... I shouldn't intervene with the palaces expenses.."

"Adrienne, you mustn't worry... everything is covered. Think of it as a gift." Glancing at my husband for approval, he nodded. "Alright, if you insist..." Marie happily walked out of the room, and my grandfather grabbed my hand. "You must pay attention, Adrienne." I sighed, knowing that France is already struggling with money. "I will, I promise." I followed behind Marie, and my husband lingered behind, staying in the room with Anastasie.

The beautiful dresses were hung up, and Marie pressed a hot pink dress against my chest. "Oh, Adrienne... Gilbert would die if he saw you in this..." I smiled, it indeed would have looked pretty on me. "Adrienne, you must get it." I stood in front of the mirror, "I don't know, Marie... this looks a little... much..." It indeed did, both in price, compared to the price of the dresses I would usually buy, and in fashion, with a lot of ribbons and ruffles. Not to mention the hem was a little lower, meaning it would show more cleavage.

However as I stared at it more, I grew to like it. "Alright... I suppose... one dress would not kill me.." Marie smiled. "Perfect." She placed the dress in my arms, looking at the array of shoes. "Oh, these would look radiant!" She held up a pair of hot pink flats, they even had a ribbon at the end of them. I smiled, trying them on, "Oh, they indeed do."