Chapter 21

May 12th, 1783

Virginie fussed around while I struggled to change her, her wiggly self trying to move around on the bed. I smiled, placing both arms through the sleeves, "There you go, you must learn to be patient, Virginie." I laughed softly, picking her up, while my husband opened the bedroom door. "Are you ready, my love?", he asked, wearing some formal attire: a reddish-brown habit a la francaise, as today is Paule's wedding day.

I nodded, "I hope Georges and Virginie will be alright staying here", I hummed, looking around at my old bedroom. It is Virginie's first time seeing. Gilbert smiled, "they will be alright, your parents hired a nanny to take care of them for the day, as well as nurse Virginie." 

I looked down, lifting up my skirts to make sure the lace lavender garter, which matched my dress, was secure, before putting them back down again. Gilbert walked over to me, and I passed Virginie over to him. "Make sure you're good for the nanny?", he hummed, and she responded with a contented coo. 

"Did you help Anastasie with getting ready?"

"Yes, Rosalie is just helping her with her hair."

I walked out of the bedroom, and into the nursery, where Georges was playing with soldier toys. Gilbert placed Virginie in her bassinet, and I kissed her forehead goodbye for the day, before turning to Georges. "And what did we tell you to do, today?", I asked softly.

"Be nice to nanny", he said, and sighed. "Why can't I go?"

"Anastasie is almost six years old, and proved she could sit quiet for long periods of time", Gilbert explained to our three-year-old, kneeling down before him. "And the ceremony is 30 minutes to an hour, it would be dull to you. And, you can spend time with your sister." He smiled at him, "two of your aunts have yet to be married. Possibly next time, alright?"

Georges nodded, and I kissed his forehead, before looking over. I saw Vivienne, the woman my parents hired, with a little girl standing next to her, along with an infant in her arms. I walked up to her, with a hint of concern in my voice, "You do not mind taking care of four children?", I asked her warily, glancing back at the two. She must have had to bring them, as they are young and cannot be left alone. I was already exhausted from nursing Virginie, I could not imagine having two babies to nurse.

"I have nannied many more before", she told me, smiling at Georges, and Virginie in her crib. "It will be alright for me." 

"Well, we give you our thanks, Madame. And please, ask the servants for help if you need assistance", Gilbert told her with a thankful smile. The little girl sat with Georges, who looked excited to have a playmate next to him. 

Walking to the room Anastasie is staying in, I opened up the door, smiling at Rosalie. "Hi, mama! I look so pretty!", Anastasie said excitedly. Her hair was up in a bun, with two ribbons pinned in, as there was not enough hair for a high roll. She still looked cheery from the fact that she gets to go to a wedding, in a gray dress with a blue ribbon wrapped around it, in some remarkable shoes, as well. "Yes, you do!" I smiled warmly. I glanced at Rosalie, "The carriages will be arriving soon, are you ready to go?"

Rosalie nodded, helping Anastasie out of her chair. 

--

"So, who is the man Paule is marrying?", I asked. I was in a carriage, with my father next to me, Louise and Clotilde across; Louis in between them, and Anastasie in my lap. 

My father hummed, delighted that he is marrying off another one of his daughters. "Joachim Charles Louis de Montagu, a Marquis. He has an astounding wealth, and observing the dinners with him, he is an incredible man-"