Chapter 5

February, 1775

Gilbert is visiting from his training in Metz for a while. Wearing a light pink robe a la française, white lace gloves, and a white feather in my powdered hair, I put in my shiny pink earbobs, before admiring myself in the mirror. We, along with Louise and Louis, are going to Marie Antoinette's ball tonight, and my mother said we could go as long as we come back at a reasonable time.

Paule rudely burst through the door without knocking (thankfully I am fully dressed). "He is here! I saw his carriage! Gilbert is here!" I picked up my skirts, racing down the staircase before peering out the nearest window. Sure enough, there he was, getting out his luggage, before making it to the first step.

Before the door could even open, I rushed out, hugging him when he made it to the front stoop. "Gilbert!", I cried, wrapping my arms around him tightly. "Addie!", he cried back, picking me up.

"Oh, goodness, Adri. Did you get all my letters?"

"I did, I made sure to read every single one through."

I heard Mother clear her throat and I jumped out of his arms quickly, turning around. "While I am excited to have Gilbert back, do be careful with your dress, Adrienne." She winked. I blushed, wrapping my arm around Gilbert's arm, while my sisters greeted him with glee.

Rosalie seemed to be the most excited out of all of my sisters, as she bounced up and down, her long, blonde hair moving along with her. "Gilbert! Look what I have!" She offered him some daisies, and Louise raised a brow.
"Are those from our neighbor's yard?", she asked skeptically. I could tell Gilbert refrained from laughter as Rosalie turned pale, she was caught... I smirked, amused, I do not think I'll be ready to have children yet... they're so... mischievous... Rosalie ran away, and Louise chased after her. "You give those back to Madame Dubois!"
"Oh dear...", Mother mumbled.

After Mother went after them to stop the conflict, and Paule and Clotilde would run to see what would happen, Gilbert and I burst into laughter. We laughed until our sides hurt, and I leaned into my darling husband. "It is good to have you home, at least for a little while", I whispered, glancing up at him as he glanced down, smiling at me. "I would not leave you for the world, my Dear Heart."

"Gilbert, isn't this wonderful?", I asked, holding onto his arm. He wore a habit à la française, which was composed of a sky blue coat and breeches, along with a waistcoat, and a peruke atop his head.

"I do not trust myself to dance", He muttered admittedly, chewing on his bottom lip. His forehead began to lather as he held my hand tightly, looking around the room and breathing uneasily. "Just try to relax, my brother. You danced with Adrienne at your wedding", Louis smirked, linking his arm with Louise's, who waved her fan towards herself.

"Monsieur Lafayette?", piped a voice.

Queen Marie Antoinette, wore a beautiful sky blue robe à la française, with sapphire earbobs and a beautiful elegant powdered wig. Their outfits were so similar. If I were not married to Gilbert and knew nothing of French royalty, I would have mistaken them for a couple.

Marie let out her hand, asking for a dance. Gilbert glanced at me, and let out a quiet sigh, his face saying, 'Help me'. I smiled awkwardly, "Go on, Gilbert. Don't be shy", I teased and winked, with a smirk of amusement on my face.

"Lead the way, Your Majesty." He bowed and then took her hand, walking towards the dance floor, leaning his head low onto the floor as he walked beside her.

That is when his foot snagged against the stocking of his leg, tripping over. I covered my mouth with my hands as The Queen laughed. I knew of nothing to do but observe as the nobility joined her. I smiled at my appalled husband encouragingly, as he got up, "Parden me, your majesty." His face reddened, looking mortified, as he got off the dance floor. Even Louise was laughing, covering her mouth with her green fan, which had floral art on it. Louis walked over with two glasses of champagne, "what did I miss?"

I folded my arms as Louise continued to laugh, "Oh come on, that was bound to happen!", she told me as Gilbert walked over, with a heavy stroke of blush on his face. "A word?", I asked him with a smirk, as Louise was babbling to Louis about what happened.

We went onto the balcony, and I placed my forearms on it, looking at the amazing starry view. "If you did that on purpose, Gilbert, congratulations, you're the talk of Versailles now!", I teased.

"I did not do it on purpose!", Gilbert groaned, finding a handkerchief from his coat, and wiping the perspiration off his forehead.

"I was kidding", I smiled, looking up at the night sky as he wrapped his arm around my waist. He sighed, chuckling a bit, "May we leave early?"

"If you insist, however, I will drag you to the next one or the one after." I grinned, leaning my back into him whilst he wrapped his arms around my waist. "not for awhile, dear. I do not want to be known as the man who tripped whilst dancing with the queen." He looked down at me. 

"oh, it was an accident."

"Was it?", He grinned, looking down at me, jokingly implying my theory about him doing it on purpose was true. 

"I doubt it will make history, my dear", I told him, comfortingly placing my gloved hand atop of his. I felt a chill on my shoulders and chest due to the frigid night. He placed his hand atop of my shoulder, trailing it down my bosom before putting it around my waist, causing me to blush. "You're so beautiful, my dear heart", he whispered in my ear. 

I perked up, "Oh, I must show you something when we get back. I made it for you while you were in Metz." 

"Well, we should go, then, my darling wife, for I would enjoy seeing it."  Taking my arm, he escorted me out of the palace after telling my sister and cousin that we would be going.

--

"Are you certain that I will be allowed in your room?", Gilbert whispered, with a small smirk glistening on his face. I gave him a glare whilst I took the candle wick, taking it around the room to light it up at least a little bit. "You've been my husband for about a year, and you still care about my parents' rules?", I grinned. 

"Hm, you're more than a troublemaker than I thought", he told me whilst I took out a box from under my bed. He walked over, "what is this, darling?"

"Why, a gift for my husband", I playfully rolled my eyes. 

"He sounds like the lucky sort, for marrying you, do I know him?", he simpered.

I sighed at his antics, deciding to play his game. "no, I am afraid you do not."

"He must be a fool."

"He sure is", I grinned. "Now enough, Gilbert." He chuckled while I handed him the box, opening the delicate ribbon with his hands. Inside was some needlework that I had been working on for months, while I was bored out of my mind without seeing him. Embroidered with many different colors of blue and pink, were flowers representing roses, along with two blue birds cuddling up against one another. I did not have the courage to admit that the birds are supposed to represent us. 

"Oh, Adrienne, it is beautiful", he whispered, his face showing he meant it. "This must have taken plenty of time and effort." He looked at me with an appreciative smile, "I will treasure this."

I leaned against him, and he gently kissed my cheek. "I adore you, Adrienne", he whispered. "And I am not just saying this only because we are married. I treasure you, and care about you." his lips moved to mine, and his hands wrapped around my waist after he set the needlepoint artwork down on the end table. "I will always protect you."

My hands fumbled with his coat, and he paused, pulling his lips a few inches away. "Adrienne..."

"We never consummated the marriage."

He took my hands, staring into my eyes. "Adrienne, I want you to be completely honest with me." I nodded, and he smiled, "are you certain? I do not want to do this while you're not ready."

"Yes, Gilbert. I want this", I confessed honestly. "I love you."

His lips descended, whilst brushing against my skin, "I love you, too."

That night, we made love, with nobody watching us but the stars above.