Chapter 15

June, 1780

After I fastened my corset, I threw my dark green, floral robe a la polonaise over my head, wrapping the skirt around my waist using two ribbons. Planting my foot on top of my chair, I fastened a light green garter around my leg to keep up my stockings. Hearing a knock on my door, I put my powdered wig on my head, opening it.

It was my mother, "There is a letter for you, Adrienne." She handed it to me, "I believe it is from Gilbert." Walking into my closet, she grabbed a pair of white heels, and I smiled. "Thank you, mother. Can you tell me when Diane arrives?"

"Of course, darling." She exited the room, and, sitting on my bed, I gingerly broke the wax seal, unfolding the delicate letter:

My Dear Heart,

As promised, I wrote to you as soon as I arrived in America. It is late, my dear, and I am writing you from inside my tent in Morristown. It is May as I write this, and I am afraid the ship will be late with my letter, as usual. 

As a man who you say seems to know everything, I am saddened to admit that I do not know where the fleet is. I have expected the fleet to be there as soon as I arrived, but, I suppose that is wishful thinking. I am supposed to receive seven ships, 7,500 soldiers, 15,000 guns, 100,000 pounds of powder, and enough clothes to dress the entire continental army. 

I am guilty, because that is why I left you early in the first place. 

The fleet is not under my command, I am afraid, but it should arrive very soon behind me. I have gotten ships, but no command. My dear heart, please, spare me some good news, as my heart is waiting for some. I am eager to find out about Georges' first steps or any new words Anastasie has learned. 

Yours forever,

-Gilbert

Grabbing some parchment and dipping my quill in the inkwell, wanting to tell him everything that has happened in the past few months, when I heard my door slam open, prompting me to knock my arm past the inkwell, causing the ink to spill all over the desk, Gilbert's letter, and parchment, dripping off the sides of my desk. 

"Auntie Diane is here!", Anastasie yelled excitedly.

"My dress", I muttered as ink got onto my skirt. Diane, in a beautiful yellow robe a la francaise, acted quickly, whisking me out of the chair while Henri proceeded to clean up the ink. "Sorry, Mama", Anastasie muttered, observing the scene. "The coach is ready once you are ready, Madame. I will dress Georges", said Noelle

"It's alright, dear." I smiled at my daughter while Diane unfastened my skirt, quickly leading me into the closet to change. "Anastasie, how many times have I told you to knock?", I overheard mother sigh, while Diane raised the dress above my head, "This is embarrassing",  I laughed softly, while Diane looked through my dresses. "It is alright; this happened to me, once." She smiled at me, giving me a cream white robe a la polonaise with purple and blue floral pattern. "I know, but I have not changed in front of anyone else besides my husband in a long time." I turned around, so Diane could help me tie the skirts. "I understand your humiliation, however, we are both ladies and we know what our bodies look like."

"That is true."

"Oh, is little Georges coming with us?", she asked, while I looked at myself in the mirror, observing how much baby weight I had gained. "I do not see why not; the Petit Trianon is peaceful, I do not see why he would be overwhelmed." 

"Are you sure they will not mind me coming?", she asked, while we exited the closet, and I picked Anastasie up, sitting her on my hip. "They will not mind; Marie Antoinette and her friends are some of the most accepting people in Versailles."