Chapter 2 - Scarlett

Scarlett P.O.V

"The search continues for Sienna Davenport, the world-renowned model that disappeared two weeks ago. Police have advised anyone with information about the case to please, come forward. Th-"

The cabbie shuts off the radio playing low throughout the car as we come to a stop.

He mumbles something along the lines of, what a crazy world, but I'm only half listening as I look out my window at the Klover Motel.

Or, according to the sign boasting its name, The Loe Motel, since the lights in the rest of the letters were out. But lights seem like the least of their problems since a couple of the windows on the second floor are cracked and taped up. Then, more importantly, one room is blocked off with police tape. Yet none of that appears to slow down business, given the packed parking lot.

And honestly, that was probably due to the bottom-of-the-barrel rates and live entertainment loitering on the sidewalk. If not, I couldn't see much draw to the place.

"Are you sure you wanna get out here?" The cabbie asks, eyes shifting between his side window and my reflection in the rearview mirror.

Hearing the concern in his voice, I check the app once more. Maddox's, my childhood best friend, location hadn't changed once throughout the drive over. So, unfortunately, this was my destination.

"Yes." I hand him enough bills to cover the fare plus a tip and get out. Careful of the long split running up the left side of my dress. Flashing someone wasn't a part of my plans tonight.

While standing on the sidewalk, the red sequins on my dress catch the light from the streetlamp and attract more than a few stares. The form-fitting trumpet gown was perfect for my original plans for the evening - an early dinner followed by dancing and a late-night showing of a few timeless classic films - but not here.

I stand out like a Christmas tree in July. And never have I felt more uncomfortable and out of place than I did at this moment.

I contemplate hopping back into the taxi, but before I can decide, he books it down the street, leaving me with no other choice.

I head to Maddox's pride and joy, a 1970 black Dodge Challenger that he and my grandfather had spent a few summers restoring. The time, effort, and... sweat they'd poured into the former rust bucket had definitely paid off. It was now worth a small fortune, but no amount of money would make Maddox sell it. The memories it held were priceless.

But instead of letting it collect dust in a garage, he prefers to use it instead of his truck whenever he's working.

And tonight is no exception. Parked between a blue minivan and a silver Camry with its back window replaced with plastic, the sweet ride has a direct view of the hotel.

A sharp whistle comes from my right while passing a dank, dark alley, but I ignore it and keep moving forward. I don't need the trouble. This day has already been long enough without adding further complications.

Arriving at the car, I lightly tap my knuckles against the cool glass of the passenger side window.

Maddox's head whips in my direction as his hand reaches for his waistband. Through the fabric of his black t-shirt, I can just make out the faint outline of his gun.

Oh, my God.

"It's me! It's me!" I move slightly back so he can see me clearly in the streetlight.

What the hell had I been thinking coming out here?

The wine I consumed for dinner had made this seem like a sound idea. Now, not so much.