Chapter 4 - Maddox

Maddox P.O.V

My hand freezes over my laptop keyboard as my cell phone alarm goes off, slightly startling me. Before the noise could grow to blaring levels, I set my computer on the couch beside me and grabbed it off my glass coffee table. Seeing the reminder on the screen, I quickly hit print.

It is half past five. And almost time for me to meet my client, Mrs. Burke. Well, the soon-to-be ex-Mrs. Burke after I reveal the findings from my investigation.

And I'm not exactly buzzing with excitement for the encounter. This was going to be messy. It always was when kids were involved.

Maybe I should've stuck with my decision to decline the job when she'd contacted me a few months asking for my help to escape her loveless marriage. But I didn't because I'd had some free time on my books. Plus, I'd thought this would be an open-and-shut case since she'd suspected him of infidelity and proving it would be enough to break their ironclad prenup so she and her kids didn't wind up without anything once they split.

But it wasn't. Those first few weeks I'd tailed Mr. Burke, he'd seemed like the epitome of a perfect husband until I dug deeper and uncovered his secrets.

All of them. Only now, I'm not so keen to share them.

Because I doubted Mrs. Burke imagined her husband's affair would be with his golf instructor, Paul.

And the multiple explicit photos I captured at the Klover Motel would probably break her beyond repair.

And if not, him losing half their savings on crypto would.

This was going to be hard to watch, but I had to go through with it. She deserves better, and so do their kids.

Seeing half of the printed pages lying in the tray, I strip off my t-shirt and head to my room in exchange for another. I'm halfway there when a knock sounds at the door.

I go and answer it, and to my surprise, Francesca is standing there decked out in an all-black outfit with her long dark hair falling in loose curls around her shoulders.

It's been two weeks. Two long weeks since we've last seen each other, but I can't complain when she shows up looking this good.

Her dark brown irises gleam underneath the fluorescent lighting as they travel the length of my body twice before returning to meet my gaze.

"He-" She presses her lips against mine, cutting off the rest of my greeting.

Slightly caught off guard, my lips remain pliant for a brief moment before I kiss her back with just as much enthusiasm. A distant door slam followed by approaching footsteps forces us into my apartment quickly. We laugh off the situation in between kissing and heading to my sectional couch. But as soon as her back touches it, all traces of humor vanish.

A breathy moan escapes Francesca's lips as I lavish kisses along the smooth skin of her neck. She tilts her head and raises her hips, pressing deeper into me. Blood rushes to my rapidly thickening length at the feel of her warm curves. Unable to hold back any longer, my hands find the buttons of her shirt. And just as I slip the first one free, her hands come down upon mine, stopping me in my tracks.

"Wait, wait." She says.

"What's wrong?" I ask, pulling back a bit to look at her face.

"Nothing. I just need to tell you something."

"Right now?"

"Yes."

"Can't it wait?" I try again, lightly sucking her earlobe into my mouth to coax her into continuing. After all, she'd started this.