Chapter 15. Scarlett

Scarlett P.O.V

I cut across the lobby of The Rook, heading to the bank of elevators, but spot a familiar face on the way. Maddox leans against the reception desk with one arm resting on top and his ankle crossed over the other.

Shit, shit, shit!

What is he doing here?

Is he supposed to meet Francesca?

My head whips toward the large glass windows covering the length of the building forefront, trying to scope her out among the crowd.

Had I been too wrapped up in my thoughts and not noticed her following me?

It's possible.

Definitely. One hundred percent possible.

But, no, no. Calm down, Scarlett. Of all the places to meet, why would they choose my office? Dear Lord, please don't let them have chosen here.

After overhearing the conversation between Francesca and her sister while out for lunch, the couple were the last people I wanted to run into. Especially Maddox. He is my oldest and dearest friend. How could I face him after what I'd learned? It'd be unbearable.

But I couldn't keep this from him. He deserves to know the truth. But how do you tell someone their girlfriend doesn't think they have anything in common?

Cheating, honestly, would've been easier. Nah, who am I kidding? Both would be hell. Revealing something about another's partner, no matter the situation, never ended well. For everyone involved.

A hand waving in front of my face pulls me from my thoughts. "Hello? Scarlett?"

I blink, one, twice, until Maddox comes into focus. "Hey! You."

My voice sounds too chipper even to my own ears, and it doesn't go unnoticed by Maddox.

A deep furrow forms between his brows as he tilts his head and looks me over. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Because you were just standing here staring into space."

"I was just, uh..."

Think, Scarlett, Think. The array of buildings backlit by the blazing sun catches my eye.

"Enjoying the view. It's such a lovely day out." I finish, fully turning to face the window.

He looks at me, out the window, then back at me again. "Seriously?"

No.

"Yes."

He lightly chuckles. "Okay."

"But anyways," I link my arm with his, pulling him away. "What are you doing here?"

"I have a meeting with the head of security."

"Oh, thank God." I breathe out, the tension ebbing from my body, but at Maddox's raised eyebrow, it returns with a fierceness. "I-I-I mean... Is everything okay?"

My question goes unanswered as his attention shifts to something behind me.

I turn to see Oscar approaching us in a sleek black suit and patented leather shoes, the standard uniform for every guard at The Rook.

"Mr. Little," Maddox greets him with a firm shake. "Thank you for meeting with me."

"It's no problem. But I have to say I didn't expect to see you again so soon. Are you here to review the footage of the break-in again?"