Chapter 11 - Scarlett

Scarlett P.O.V

The wind whips through the trees overhanging the park path as I jog through. A touch of the cool breeze brushes across my body, chilling my sweat-dampened skin while continuing along the winding pathway. The soulful tune flowing from my ear pods drowns out the steady beat of my sneaker-clad feet hitting the pavement but doesn't deafens me to my surroundings.

Rococo runs ahead of me, his long leash giving him a bit of free reign.

It is mid-afternoon, my preferred running time. Given that there are only a few people out and about. And the fewer people I had to worry about, the better. I was just here to exercise, not to interact with others.

As we round the bend, a call comes through on my phone. I stop and tug on Rococo's leash, signaling him to do the same.

"Hello?" I answer without checking the caller's i.d.

"Hey, girl! How's the run?" Ebony's voice came through over the line.

"Why don't you join us and find out?" I pant out in between breaths.

"Uh-uh, girl. You know anything that involves exercise I avoid like the plague."

I chuckle and lightly shake my head. "You're cra-"

Rococo starts wildly barking at a cluster of bushes a few feet away. The couple lying on a blanket roughly a foot in front of it sits up, looking around for the cause of commotion.

Tightening my grip on Rococo's leash, I drop to his side, slowly rubbing his back. "What is it, baby?"

He continues to bark, canines on full display as he moves closer and closer toward the edge of the pathway. But I stop him before he can step off. Squinting through the sunlight, I peer around the bush, not seeing anything.

"What's the matter, baby?" I ask again, running my fingers through his fur.

He barks once more before softly whining, then completely quiets down. Rising to my feet, I led him away to try and calm him further down.

"Is Rococo alright?" Ebony's voice sounds in my ear, making me slightly jump. I'd momentarily forgotten I'd been on the phone with her.

"Ye-yeah, he's calming down now. But I can't even tell what set him off."

She hums. "Maybe another animal."

"Yeah, maybe," I mutter, not entirely convinced.

For a moment, we fall silent before I ask, "How's Chance doing?"

Since learning of the Sienna Davenport case, I'd started to see it everywhere- on various social media posts, magazine covers, and several news outlets. It's like, I'd been blind to it all, locked away in my own bubble. But now I couldn't escape it.

Throughout the halls of The Rook, her name was on everyone's lips and even those of passing strangers in the street. It seemed everyone had their eyes on this case. And that meant a lot of added pressure for the investigating officer, and unfortunately, Ebony's husband had drawn the short stick.

She groans, and I don't have to see her face to know an eye roll accompanies it. "Oh, you know him. Being a typical male. He insists he's fine, but I can see he's anything but."

"Have you tried talking to him? You're his wife. If he can't talk to you, then who can he?"

"Yeah, but..." She lets out a long and deep sigh. "If I try to force him to talk before he's ready, he'll only clam up. Trust me. It's better to wait and let him come to me."

Just as I'm about to reply, my phone beeps, alerting me of another call. "Can you hold on for a minute, Ebony? Someone's on the other line."

"Yeah, yeah."