Chapter 25 - Maddox

Maddox P.O.V

I charge through the restaurant entrance, blowing straight past the hostess dealing with an older couple.

"Sir!" She whispers/shouts at my back, but I don't stop, only keep heading to the back far left table where they sit.

Scarlett and that fucking prick, Luciano.

What was she even thinking going out with him?

I'd hoped, prayed, and pleaded the entire drive over that I was wrong. That her date was anyone but him, but it'd all been in vain. She'd only realize he wasn't worth her time or her once she knew the truth.

"Sir!" The hostess tries again as I stand before the pair.

Scarlett's eyes widen in surprise as she looks up at me. "Maddox?"

"Sir, if you don't have a reservation, I'm going to have to ask you to leave." The hostess says with a lot more conviction and authority in her voice this time.

"I do. I'm with them." I drop into the seat beside Scarlett, settling back against the chair.

The hostess leaves in a slight huff, but I don't pay her any mind, keeping a close eye on Luciano's reaction. He looks to Scarlett for answers about my sudden appearance but otherwise says nothing.

"Madd-"

"God, I'm starving," I mutter, grabbing the menu off the opposite table and flipping through it. I can feel the heat of their burning stares on my head and the side of my face, but I don't look up at them.

Scarlett leans over, chuckling awkwardly before whispering, "What are you doing here?"

"What do you mean? It's dinner time. And a man's gotta eat, right?"

"Uh-huh. And you just so happen to choose the restaurant where I'm at."

"Yes, it's purely coincidental." I flash a smile her way before looking back at the menu.

She leans even closer with one hand on my arm, smiling sweetly. "Coincidence, my ass. You probably used the Find My Friends app."

"Where's that waiter?" I grumble, looking around the room.

"You did. Didn't you?" She sharply whispers.

I turn towards her. "And so what if I did? It's the reason we installed it. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you use it to find me as well."

She starts to reply, but Luciano asks, "Guys, is everything alright?"

"Yes, yes," Scarlett rushes to assure him, smiling brightly. "Just give us one sec."

He smiles back. "Okay."

Scarlett turns back toward me, her eyes shooting flaming daggers my way. "You're right. I did use it on you, but not when you were on a date."

I tilt my head slightly and put on the most innocuous expression I could muster. "You're on a date?"

"Yes. The same one I texted you about." She grits out through clenched teeth, gesturing with her head to Luciano.

"Oh, is that still going on? I thought that would have ended by now." I lie through my teeth.

She didn't need to know I'd rushed back, breaking every speed limit to get here. Some might consider me interrupting her date rude but screw it. And to hell with them. I wouldn't leave her alone with this guy.

"Well, it's n-"

"But..." I interject, speaking loudly enough for Luciano to hear. "Maybe we should take this opportunity to get to know one another since every time we've met, it's been in less than desirable situations."