Chapter 22 - Scarlett

Scarlett P.O.V

I wipe my damp palms on the legs of my jeans and slowly release the air from my lungs while watching the police walk along the shoulder of the road. So far, their search hasn't been successful. Not a single soul had been found. Dead or alive. And this didn't seem the type of accident to walk away from easily.

"What's taking so long? I mean... Shouldn't they have found something by now?"

"There's no set time for things like this," Maddox says.

"Yeah, but didn't you say you saw blood? Can't they just follow the trail?"

"Maybe they were and lost it."

A small sigh slips free as I rest my head on the headrest.

"Hey," Chance says, appearing at the driver's side window. "Thanks for calling this in."

"No thanks needed." Maddox waves him off. "Anyone would have done the same."

He hums. "Alright, you guys be safe the re-"

"Wait, wait. Can you tell us what's going on?"

He looks off to the side as if contemplating whether or not to tell us before turning back. "There's not much to go on. All we have is a working theory right now."

"And what's that?"

He sighs. "We think this was deliberate."

"Why?"

"There were serrated edges along the trunk, indicating someone purposely cut down this tree. For what reason, we don't know, but considering who our supposed victim is, we can't yet rule it out that this wasn't intentional."

"And who's that?"

"Lillian Wang or better known to her fans as Xena."

Maddox glances my way, his face mirroring a similar confused expression as my own. "Am I supposed to know who that is?"

"Nope. Not unless you're fond of only fan models."

"Wait a minute. Hold up. She's a model?"

Chance sighs again. "Yep."

"So she's the third model that's gone missing. This can't be a coincidence, Chance."

"Whoa, whoa. We haven't concluded whether Xena is missing or confirmed if she was even in the vehicle. Let us run the blood and contact her family or a representative before we assume the worst, alright?"

"Okay, fine." Maddox pauses and looks over at him with his head slightly cocked. "But what if I'm right? What are the odds that three models would go missing?"

Chance visibly swallows, steps back, and rubs his furrowed brow. "Pretty fucking low. I'll tell you that."

"Exactly." Maddox leans forward, arm draped over the steering wheel. "And what if... just what if the same person that abducted and killed Sienna took my client and Xena as well?"

"That's a stretch, Maddox. There isn't any evidence that hints at these cases being connected. Not a single piece."

"Not right now. No. But what if they are?" He quietly asks.

"Then..." Andrew lets out a long sigh. "We got a fucking shitstorm on our hands."