Chapter 26 - Scarlett

Scarlett P.O.V

It was him.

A hundred percent him.

The photo Maddox showed me yesterday of the man recovering in the hospital matched the ones on Dr. Earhart's dating profile. And I'd thought of nothing else since.

Luciano and I had been out a few times, but I didn't know nearly enough about him to attest to his character.

How could he attack someone? What possible reason could he have?

It'd taken all my self-control not to ask him outright when Maddox and I returned to the table. Screw this whole secretive bullshit. But I'd refrained for the sake of their case. Since the beginning, Maddox war-

A knock at the door disrupts my thoughts.

"Scarlett?" Ebony calls from the other side.

"Yeah?"

"Everything's all set up. Just come out when you're ready."

"Okay. I'll be right there."

I slip on a beige maxi dress with lace detailing throughout the torso and ruffles along the skirt that perfectly match the beachy vibes of Sherri's and Jon's wedding while still maintaining a bit of formality before joining Ebony in our suite living room. Unlike me, she's still in her pajamas and waiting by the couch with a Bobby pin in hand, ready to pin my hair up and do my makeup.

It takes her only fifteen minutes to finish both before she quickly dons her clothes, and we head out the door. While walking to the elevator, the door two doors down from ours open, and out steps Mrs. Cross. She doesn't notice our approach as she stands beside the doorway, typing on her phone. A frown mares her face, deepening with each tap of her fingers.

"Mrs. Cross," Ebony calls, gently touching her elbow as we come up beside her. "Is something wrong?"

"No...well, I haven't been able to get in touch with that son of mine. Scarlett, have you?"

"Yes, he texted me that he should be here in ten minutes."

She lets out a small sigh of relief. "Good. And will Chance be with him?"

"No, ma'am. He's not. But he'll try and make the reception." Ebony answers.

"Oh, well, tell him not to strain himself. His work is way more important."

Before Ebony can reply, the door cracks slightly open, and out sticks Sherri's head. "Mom!"

"What's wrong, baby?"

"Pam just called. Her flight's delayed, and she won't arrive until after the ceremony."

"Okay, as far as problems go, that's not too bad. Maybe we can ask one of the groomsmen to step down. I'm sure they'll understand."

"Mom, I think you're forgetting their Jon's brothers. And I'm not going to decide which one will sit out. Are you?"

"Okay, bad idea. But don't worry. I have another."

"What is it?"

"We can..." Her voice trails off as she looks around, and when her eyes land on me, a smile lights up her face. "Have Scarlett fill in for her."

"Me?"

"Yes, you."

"No, I couldn't possibly take her place. There has to be someone else. Like a co-worker or a... I don't know a long-lost cousin or something?"

"There's no one else. And even if there were, you're the only one small enough to fit in her dress."

"I-"

"Please." She grabs my arms. "I know you only expected to be a guest, but by stepping in, you'll be doing me a huge favor."

I let out a resigned sigh. "Okay, fine. I'll do it."