Chapter 21 - Scarlett

Scarlett P.O.V

Maddox's fingers drum against the steering wheel in tune with the old-school R&B song blasting from the car stereo as we zip down the road through a heavily wooded area. We were still about forty minutes out from the hotel where his sister's wedding would take place.

The ceremony is still two days away, but Maddox wants to utilize the extra time to catch up with his extended family. Since he only gets to see them on holidays or the rare special occasion.

I'd tagged along rather than making the trip alone. However, it hadn't occurred to me that I was risking being a third wheel to him and Francesca until we were well on our way, and there was no turning back.

But to my surprise, she hadn't come. Thank goodness. Being trapped with them with this secret festering between us would be the most insufferable car ride ever.

And while her absence was a relief, I couldn't stop myself from pondering the reason why. Maddox hadn't so much as mentioned one word about it, further piquing my interest.

As the song ends, I turn down the radio and look at him.

"Is Francesca not coming to the wedding?" I ask, my curiosity getting the best of me.

"Yeah, she's coming. She just had to take care of some business. So she'll drive down sometime tomorrow."

"Oh, I'm surprised you didn't wait and drive down with her."

"I was, but..." he rubs his forearm, eyes focused straight ahead. "Thought I could use the time to think."

"Think about what? The case?"

In the days since our conversation while shopping for his tux, I hadn't asked about the case, not out of lack of interest but because Maddox would have shared it if there had been any new information.

"No, just uh..." He blows out. "What I want."

"Mhm, I see." I grab my coffee from the cup holder and take a sip. "Care to elaborate?"

One side of his mouth quirks up into a smirk as he glances my way. "Depends..."

"On?"

"Am I speaking to my best friend or Dr. Winters right now?"

I smile. "Your best friend. Always."

He nods, reaching up to adjust the rearview mirror slightly. For a minute, we drive on in silence until I ask, "Soo... Are you going to tell me?"

"It's just I realized I moved too fast getting into a relationship."

My eyes widen in shock. Out of everything I thought he might have said, that hadn't been it. Not even close.

"Oh?" I ask, trying not to get my hopes up. At least not until I'd heard everything he needed to say.

He deeply exhales as we round the bend in the road. "Ye-"

Suddenly, he hits the brakes, bringing the car to a screeching stop behind a white jeep with its hood smashed completely in by a fallen tree.

"Fuckin' hell!" Maddox exclaims, jamming the gear into park before turning to me. "You alright?"

"Yeah, yeah." I rush to assure him, dragging my eyes away from the spare tire attached to the trunk. God, that'd been close. If not for his quick reflexes... Hell, if not for him, this would've been worse. "You?"

He nods.

"You see anyone inside?"

"Can't tell." He parks off to the side and gets out. "Stay here. I'll go check it out."

I grab my purse from where it's fallen on the floor and reach inside for my phone. "Okay."

He goes to the driver's side, and barely two minutes pass before he returns to the car.

He sets his hands on the door and says through the window. "Call 9-1-1. Tell them where we are."

"Is someone hurt?"

"I don't know...Maybe. There's blood leading from the vehicle, but I didn't see anyone."

"Oh god." I slid forward, nearly pressing against the dashboard while staring through the windshield.

"Call the police, and I'll keep looking."

"Okay."