Chapter 5 - Scarlett

Scarlett P.O.V

I elbow my way in between two blondes standing at the bar to get my drink from the bartender before making my way back through the sea of people still waiting for their orders. Some of the faces I recognize, while the others not so much.

But either way, loads of people turned up to celebrate the night's festivities. A lot more than expected, to be honest.

The 66th birthday of The Rook's beloved head of security and my grandpa's good friend, Oscar Little, shouldn't have garnered this much attention. And fortunately, the staff at Brunson's bar and grille were accommodating.

A lull falls over the crowd as a waiter rolls a silver cart from the kitchen. The three-tier white cake on top has so many candles it's a wonder how it doesn't set off the smoke detectors.

A lone voice begins singing Happy Birthday, and everyone else quickly joins, drawing Oscar's attention. His jaw drops as his wide-blown eyes travel from the flaming monstrosity to his friends and co-workers, then back again. The man to his left helps him to his feet as the waiter stops a short distance away from the booth. While the singing continues, Oscar stands there with a frothy brew and a bashful smile on his weathered face.

Once the song ends, Oscar blows out the candles, and everyone claps.

It takes a minute for the noise to die down, and as soon as it does, Oscar speaks, "You guys really made an old man very happy tonight. I can't reme..." his voice cracks, and behind his oval frames, his eyes rapidly blink as he fights back his tears.

"We love you, Oscar." A deep voice shouts from the back, eliciting another round of cheers and whistles from everyone.

"I love you guys too. And I just want to say I can't remember the last time anyone did something like this for me. So thank you... All of you for coming and making this a joyous occasion that I'll forever remember and cherish." He lifts his beer in salute before taking a drink.

I finish the rest of my wine as everyone else does the same with their own drinks. Just as another round of cheering begins, I set the glass on a nearby table and head over to him.

I'd been waiting in the wings long enough while he spoke to the never-ending line of guests.

He sees me coming and welcomes me with open arms. The light musk of his cologne tickles my nose as he softly embraces me. "Hey, how are you?"

"Good, good." I step back. "What about you? Are you enjoying your party?"

"Yeah. How could I not? The boys went all out." His eyes twinkle underneath the lights as they take in the decorations. The large Happy Birthday, Oscar! banner over the door, and the gold streamers and balloons placed throughout the bar. "Really made me feel special."

I nod. "Well, I'm sure Dale has something even better planned for your birthday."

His smile falls at the mention of his stepson, and I wish I could take it back. "Doubt it. I haven't seen him in months. Last I heard, he was shacking up with some woman down in Austin that's separated from her husband."

"Oh."

Way to kill the mood, Scarlett.

Dale had come from his second marriage. But other than that, he had no children of his own. Nor any living blood relatives. And he was estranged from his two ex-wives. My mom, dad, and I were probably the closest thing to family he had left. Aside from Dale, of course.

I'd once overheard a conversation between him and my grandfather, of him saying he'd been the only good thing to come out of his second marriage. But that was years ago, and maybe things had changed.