Chapter 16. Scarlett

Scarlett P.O.V

"Stay close," Maddox warns as we enter the garage side door left propped open by a rock.

I nod, casting one final look at the beat-up red Honda Accord and the white pickup truck in the parking lot before the heavy door slams shut behind us. Aside from them and Maddox's own car, it was empty. Hopefully, it reflected what awaited inside. But looks could be deceiving.

I inhale, air heavily permeated by oil invading my nostrils as we proceed further inside. Racks of tools and car parts lined the walls with a ring of cameras set up before them.

Jeez.

Out of everything I expected to do today, being on a porno set wasn't on the list. Or even in the realm of possibilities.

But here I am. And with Maddox at that. It's deeply unsettling. More so, who is accompanying me than the fiery redhead in a blue tube top and miniskirt bent over the hood of a yellow MX-5 Miata speaking in broken English to a bare-chested Mr. Clean look-alike in greasy coveralls.

Francesca and her sister's conversation still remains fresh in my mind, and until I decide on my next course of action, I should've stayed far away from Maddox. But I'd got caught up in the case and couldn't resist his offer to tag along in hopes of finding out more. Now, it seems I am paying the price for my curiosity.

"I don't see him. Do you?" Maddox asks, eyes scanning the faces in the room.

I shook my head.

On the way over, he'd shown me a picture of Boris from their company website. And so far, none of the men even closely resembled the tall ginger.

The cameraman behind the middle tripod looks over, finally realizing our presence. He looks as if to admonish us for disrupting the scene but stops when he sees us. His face pales, turning a ghastly white hue as he stands there, staring at us through slightly wide-blown eyes.

Okayyy.

Confused by his sudden change, I look away but quickly turn back as his face seems awfully familiar.

He couldn't be...

No! I shook my head, banishing the thought before it could take fruition in my mind. There was no way he'd be in a place like this. Right?

Before I can even process what's happening, my feet carry me over to him. And with each step, I plead to the heavens that I'm wrong and that maybe this is someone who resembles him. But as I get closer, seeing his face dead on, I realize I'm not.

It is, in fact, truly him.

Someone in the background calls for a quick break, stealing his attention away, but I bring it right back.

"Joe," I say.

"Hey, Scarlett. What uh..." He crosses, then uncrosses his arms before planting them on his hips. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing."

He swallows hard and looks off to the side while scratching his head. Further messing the dark strands as an awkward silence settles around us.

But it's broken shortly afterward when Maddox appears at my side. "Isn't this-" He starts, but I cut him off.

"Penelope's boyfriend. Yes."

"Oh, shit, man. Are you lost?" Maddox leans forward and whispers, "You know what type of place this is, right?"

Joe's head lowers, nearly touching his chest, as he softly says, "Yeah, I know."