Chapter 31 - Scarlett

Scarlett P.O.V

I slowly come to, but I can't make heads or tells of my surroundings. The cloth around my eyes leaves me sequestered in darkness.

Where am I?

And how long have I been out?

The last thing I remember is Luciano shoving me into the back of a van, then a sharp pinch. And nothing else.

Oh, shit. That bastard drugged me. Actually, drugged me! The fuck! Over a few short days, my entire perception of him had changed. Assault, kidnapping, and now drugging. Who the hell was he? And why had I allowed him into my life?

I shift, sitting more upright against the cold, hard brick at my back. Creaks ensue, and the bindings around my wrists pull taut against my skin, making me stop. The chink of a door opening sounds to my left. A whiff of bleach comes through followed by heavy footfalls. Every thump of their shoes drives my heart rate higher as they draw nearer and nearer. I unconsciously hold my breath when the footsteps stop in front of me.

A second pass, then another before a sharp tug brings the cloth covering my eyes down, and light hits me square across the face. My eyes soon adjust, and Luciano comes into view, squatting before me.

"Luciano, if this is some kind of game. It's not funny. Now let me go!" I instill enough confidence in my voice to try and convince him I'm unaware of his alleged crimes.

Maybe if he believed me, he would let me go. And if not, it could at least buy enough time to plot an escape, or here's hoping for Maddox to find me.

He glances over his shoulder at the two cells behind him. My eyes go wide at the two women inside.

Oh, good lord. What kind of mess did I get myself into?

Who on earth are they?! And why were they here?! Had he attacked them like Dr. Earhart?

"Does this look like a game to you?" He asks, bringing my attention back to him.

Chills run down the length of my spine, and I try to keep my fear from broadcasting all over my face. But I know I failed miserably when a sinister grin slowly creeps across his lips.

His smile falls when the door cracks open, bringing with it, once again, the faint smell of bleach. A masked man enters the room but doesn't venture past the doorway.

Luciano's eyes never leave mine as he asks, "What is it?"

"Can I talk to you? In private."

Luciano sighs, standing to his feet. He looks down at me, lips twisted in a snarl before following him from the room.

"You took her from the hotel?! What happened to waiting until she left Pure Leaf? Huh?!" The man yells, his voice coming through clear from the crack they left in the door.

Pure Leaf? The Resort and Spa? My mother and I meet there every month without fail to relax and catch up. It's a monthly thing. The one time I can get her to focus on something other than work.

"I got tired of waiting."

"It was one week! Have you forgotten her friend's a private investigator?"

"No! But it seems you've forgotten who's in charge around here! This is my plan. Not yours! And I don't need to consult you about a damn thing regarding the decisions I make! Got it?"

"Yes, I got it. All I was saying is he won't stop looking into any and everyone around her until he finds her. And that means you. And we don't need that kind of heat right now."